Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First PCS, for dummies.(Army)

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

First PCS, for dummies.(Army)

Advertisements
    All the questions I asked, no one could seem to answer, so for the sake of any newbies on the board, here was(in my experience) what to do to get your CONUS move rolling.

Make sure you have Power of Attorney(have your spouse do this beforehand, waaaaay before...NOW is a good time) and make several copies

Make several copies of the orders

Call the nearest base to you. http://www.army.com/resources/item/925
    <----will help you find which one it is!

Call the transportation office there, and tell them you need to arrange for shipment of your household goods. http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/p55_2.pdf <-- will tell you what items they will not transport and how to prepare for packout day.

They will set up a time for you to attend a briefing-bear in mind that children are not allowed, so make childcare arrangements in advance. If you can't, they will set up a "self-brief"(you watch a dvd and read along in a pamphlet).

After the brief, you will fill out the necessary forms. Make sure you bring a copy of the orders, your POA, and DD form 4/1(this is the first page of your spouse's enlistment packet, which states your home of record)as they will need copies to process your paperwork.

They will call when your paperwork has cleared and confirm your packout date. Be ready and present on that date, or they will charge you for it.

If you moved unauthorized(basically if you moved at all since your spouse enlisted), they will charge you the difference, but will still move your stuff. The charges can be taken out of the pay through DFAS at a percentage-per-month rate.

Ok....I think that's it. I hope this helps someone else, because I have had a hell of a time this past week! I'll update more about packout day after it gets here(with any luck, tuesday! )

All of you more experienced ladies, please(PLZ) feel free to add all the things I'm sure I totally forgot Hopefully this will save some people hassles!
    Last edited by Shania7337; 02-06-2008 at 06:10 PM.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i am not sure if it is also fapply or Conus move, but for OCONUS you need a special power attornery to ship your car from one place to another. Most shipping company would not accept a power of attorney.
  3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Oh and you need a specific POA to move household goods ( very important it states that otherwise they will laugh at you) And you hardly need to go to the transpo office all moves are done on Smartwebmove now. Found that out at our last move.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    wow.
    that all looked VERY complicated.... now i am freaking out about our impending CONUS move!

... and we dont even have specific orders yet...

eep!
  5. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    The briefing must either be for Army or first time moves, because I haven't had to have a pre-move brief in over 10 years. And each packer also makes their own determination on what they will and will not pack. ( annoying but true) for instance one move they packed all my candles and soaps and shampoos. everything but some cleaning supplies too. This last move they didn't pack my candles any of my shampoo or soaps and none of my spices even unopened ones.

I will miss you SOS...

6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Can we just rent a U haul truck and move our stuff on our own??
    will they reimburse gas or anything?
    or is the only way moving can be paid for is if THEY move it... ??
    the only things we have besides boxes and bags are a book shelf, a squishy chair, a mediumish hope chest and MAYBE a twin size bed...

if some people dont move candles and whatnot... i have that stuff randomly packed into a few different boxes... what would i do then??
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
    wow.
    that all looked VERY complicated.... now i am freaking out about our impending CONUS move!

... and we dont even have specific orders yet...

eep!
    You and me both!

And I know where I am going!
  8. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    Ok....I think that's it. I hope this helps someone else, because I have had a hell of a time this past week! I'll update more about packout day after it gets here(with any luck, tuesday! )
    That soon?!?!?! Wow . Good luck & can't wait to see you up here in NC!
  9. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
    Can we just rent a U haul truck and move our stuff on our own??
    will they reimburse gas or anything?
    or is the only way moving can be paid for is if THEY move it... ??
    the only things we have besides boxes and bags are a book shelf, a squishy chair, a mediumish hope chest and MAYBE a twin size bed...

if some people dont move candles and whatnot... i have that stuff randomly packed into a few different boxes... what would i do then??
    you can do a DITY move or even a partial DITY move, but they will never completely cover the whole cost of what you will spend unless you have a small amount of stuff. We have always let them move us, honestly for us now especially it's too much hassle and we have way too much stuff. the candle thing is usually what you have laying out. If they are prepacked unless they have to repack the box they should be ok. Again it does depend on who is doing the packing.

I will miss you SOS...

10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    REpack the box??
    why would they have to do that?
    ... i think i have mine packed well.. at any rate.. i have them all secured top AND bottom with duct tape.. it might be a hassle to open just to repack....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast