Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Initial Move

1. Senior Member

Confused Initial Move

Advertisements
    So I've been asking a few questions about this, but I'm still trying to figure it all out... When DB moves to his duty station after all of his training, how does the moving and housing arrangements work? Will he have to stay in a dorm since he's single? Or does he have the option of staying at an apartment with me? And if he does, will he still get at least some BAH (I think that's the right term) for himself? Also, we share a lot of furniture etc. So when he moves, can he say that is his stuff and have them pay for moving it? That would definitely save a lot and I'm hoping we would be able to find a way to cut down on as much costs as possible. I'm ok with paying a portion of it, I did move down here to be with him in the first place so it's nothing too new. If anyone has answers to any of this, I'd definitely appreciate it! THANKS!!!
  2. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    It depends on his rank, but usually low ranking guys will NOT get to stay outside the barracks with BAH. He will have to "live" in the barracks, he can stay anywhere he likes but he won't get any BAH to help you out. As for moving his stuff. he can have "his furniture" moved. But again it depends on his rank if they will actually do it. Best thing he can do is talk to PSD to find out what will happen. Even if they move it from one place to a storage unit. KWIM?

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

3. Banned
    Banned
    as a single member he will get a set amount of weight if he is an E1-E3 the total max weight is 5,000 lbs--
    no one will be there to say that this couch is his and this chair is yours-- except one of you.
    and no one will say so unless it is one of you-- as long as you stay within th 5,000 lbs you will be ok.

as for BAH as long as he is an e4 or below he will not get get BAH until or unless you are married.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Something to keep in mind - if he does have to live in the barracks, or at least maintain a barracks room (some commands will allow them to "visit" off base housing as long as they maintain the barracks room, attend formations, do field days, etc), many locations have farily strict regs on what can/can't be brought into the room by the military member. For example, DH is living in a BEQ (barracks), right now and is not allowed to bring in ANY furniture. There is a bed, chair, etc in the room that is provided but beyond the tv, etc he is not allowed to add anything (and they do inspections - those locations with strict regs also likely have strict enforcement). This is killing him because he LOVES his big recliner here at home and the one in the room sucks, lol.
    The reason I bring this up is that if this is the situation for your DB then there would be no having them move actual furnishings anyway.
    As to what he will/won't be allowed to do as far as housing, that really does vary a lot. Some commands/locations are a lot more lenient while others reserve the privilege of living out of the barracks as an unmarried person for those above certain ranks. As frustarting as it is right now it would really be nothing more than a guessing game to figure out what will be the situation for you and yoru DB.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    If he is below and E-3 and some E-4's they can't move downtown unless there is a surplus of single guys. The only way they can move downtown is to be married. In turn, they don't get BAH because they are given housing. (dorm)

Also, about the furniture, Miss B 'Haven said it best. He can't bring his own furniture into dorms. They supply it all.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Senior Member
    What about moving the furniture into storage in that city? Would that be a possibility?
  7. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    He could, but at his own expense he would have to pay the storage fee. I would highly recommend that then letting the military store your things because you can't get them out of storage once they are in until you PCS again.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.