Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: First PCS, help!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Nutts First PCS, help!

Advertisements
    Anyone care to offer some advice from experience? I'll PM my phone number if that would be easier.

Much appreciated!!
  2. .x.MiSS.LADi.x.
    No advice b/c I havent PCS'd yet...But just wanted to wish you luck!
  3. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    Lock everything that you are taking with you in one room so it doesn't get accidentally packed. Empty the garbages,etc so they don't get packed. Make sure to keep cleaning supplies out so you can clean without buying new ones.
  4. Senior Member
    No advice really, just wanted to say keep breathing, one day at a time, stay organized and you'll get through it... and everything will be settled as you want it, before you know it.
  5. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Have your vacuum packed up next to last. That way you can vacuum.
    Take photos of things, so that if they do get damaged, the moving company can't say it was pre-existing.
    Other than that, it's pretty stress free when the movers are the ones packing up everything.

Good luck Loretta!!!!
  6. Senior Member
    -Start eating up all the food in the house and in the freezer
    -Take pictures of all your furniture and things of high value, including the washer and dryer.
    -Let the washing machine dry out before they take it to avoid mold
    -Take down all your curtains and wash them, don't forget the rods so they can be packed(yes I forgot this one time )
    -Take down all pictures and set them in one pace together
    -Have a set area for stuff that is NOT to be packed. (we put all our stuff in the car)
    -Make sure you put all breakable things together in one place. Generally they will pack by "rooms" Breakable things can get packed with just about anything when that happens.
    -They wont take household cleaners, nail polish remover and stuff so try to use up as much as possible or give it away.
    -Make sure you have all your important paperwork you need put away where it wont be packed also. We bought a small Rubbermaid filling cabinet to keep all our papers safe and stored while we traveled.

Thats all I cant think of right now
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thank you!!!

Very good tips!

I'm sooo not that far yet, thoiugh...we have orders...now what? Who do I call? Where do I go to get this all rolling? I'm extremely confused(and DH is at airborne, while my father just died and I really need to be 1400 miles from here)and hoping to be out of here very fast..I just don't know where to start.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    Thank you!!!

Very good tips!

I'm sooo not that far yet, thoiugh...we have orders...now what? Who do I call? Where do I go to get this all rolling? I'm extremely confused(and DH is at airborne, while my father just died and I really need to be 1400 miles from here)and hoping to be out of here very fast..I just don't know where to start.
    ooohhhhh !!! Where are you pcsing to? We just moved in September, but we did a dity move... so good luck girl!!

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by uniformedmisses View Post
    ooohhhhh !!! Where are you pcsing to? We just moved in September, but we did a dity move... so good luck girl!!
    Ft. Bragg. I live in San Antonio, now.

DITY...that's where you do it yourself and then get reimbursed later, right?

I just need to know WHERE to go...WHO to call. There are forms to be filled out, where do I get them? A specific office?

Please and thanks for the help, ladies(and dudes)!
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    Ft. Bragg. I live in San Antonio, now.

DITY...that's where you do it yourself and then get reimbursed later, right?

I just need to know WHERE to go...WHO to call. There are forms to be filled out, where do I get them? A specific office?

Please and thanks for the help, ladies(and dudes)!
    yeah, but dity moves are a lot harder, and I couldn't imagine doing on with a lil one around. Basically you have to call the transportation office which i think if you looked up ft. bragg you could probably find their number. You inform them of what type of move you want, dity kind of sucks because it is all out of pocket, and then you get reimbursed 6 weeks after your move, although you do get reimbursed twice what you spent. We spent 700 to move, and the they paid us 1600 as reimbursement...

I don't know anything about the other move though...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast