Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: A-1 Visa's

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

A-1 Visa's

Advertisements
    Anyone know about A-1 Visa's? If I plan to move to Korea unnaccompanied, is that the kind of Visa I should try to get or should I just get the 90 day and extend it once I am there?
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

Ask me about Congenital Heart Defects... 1 in 100, it could be your child...

Ask me about Down Syndrome... more common than you think...

Wife to a Disabled Army Veteran... been there, done that, moving on
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    bumpin this cuz I need to try and get some responses by tomorrow lol
    Katie- Mommy to Kylee 10-30-05 (loving big sister, Ms. independent, intelligent, princess) and Auriana 09-17-08 (miracle baby with down syndrome, heart defects, hearing impairment, digestive problems, tube fed since birth, but determined to succeed, strong, loving, happy)

3. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    Honestly, your best bet is to go accompanied..otherwise you won't have healthcare, etc.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Honestly, your best bet is to go accompanied..otherwise you won't have healthcare, etc.
    Sadly that is not an option because hubby is in training and they are refusing to do the paperwork. I have already looked into it and I actually will be allowed heathcare and dental just like here, so that is not an issue. I'm just trying to find out what type of Visa I need to get to be able to live there long-term since right now the Army just doesn't want to fool with it and is refusing to help.

5. lauren_riley
    Does your DH know what base he is going to be stationed at? If so, you can get on the website for that particular post and look up information there on visas and passports. Also, you may be able to get on an embassay website or find a phone number and see what Korea requires for you to be able to live there legally. I'm pretty sure you will need a passport and a visa. The passport should last 5 years and the visa should last 90 days. You can get a no-fee government passport at any miltary installation using your military ID and a copy of your birth certificate with the raised seal on it. Oh, and your SS card. You might be able to get help with the visa, there, too. dunno if this helps
    P.S. You will need to renew the visa every 90 days if you plan on staying longer than that. This can be done at the American embassay in Korea or maybe even on post.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren_riley View Post
    Does your DH know what base he is going to be stationed at? If so, you can get on the website for that particular post and look up information there on visas and passports. Also, you may be able to get on an embassay website or find a phone number and see what Korea requires for you to be able to live there legally. I'm pretty sure you will need a passport and a visa. The passport should last 5 years and the visa should last 90 days. You can get a no-fee government passport at any miltary installation using your military ID and a copy of your birth certificate with the raised seal on it. Oh, and your SS card. You might be able to get help with the visa, there, too. dunno if this helps
    P.S. You will need to renew the visa every 90 days if you plan on staying longer than that. This can be done at the American embassay in Korea or maybe even on post.
    She won't be able to travel on a no-fee passport though. You can only use them on government orders, and her and her daughter won't be on them.

Anyway, I wish I had some idea what kind of visa you needed. And I really think that you should look more in depth about what resources you would be entitled to being their unaccompanied. You wouldn't get OHA or COLA, you would get your BAH for your current station and I am not sure if that would cut it in Korea. Besides, isn't your DH going t be in the field training?
    Needs work.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FTCWifey View Post
    She won't be able to travel on a no-fee passport though. You can only use them on government orders, and her and her daughter won't be on them.

Anyway, I wish I had some idea what kind of visa you needed. And I really think that you should look more in depth about what resources you would be entitled to being their unaccompanied. You wouldn't get OHA or COLA, you would get your BAH for your current station and I am not sure if that would cut it in Korea. Besides, isn't your DH going t be in the field training?
    I agree with the bolded.
  8. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    http://www.usfk.mil/usfk/welcome/lifestyle.html
    If you bring your family members to Korea at your own expense, you may face several hardships, including financial. Non-command sponsored families are not authorized government quarters or furniture. However, as of Oct. 1, 2005, non-command sponsored families receive the overseas housing allowance (OHA) at the with-dependent rate. Non-command sponsored families receive the Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) at the without-dependent rate. Depending on your job and where you are stationed, you may be required to live in the barracks, dormitory or BEQ/BOQ. This is especially true of soldiers assigned to 2nd Infantry Division or other units located north of Seoul. This area is considered a potential combat area and unsuitable for family members.

One note of interest for service members and their families is the status of non-command sponsored family members. As of Oct. 1, 2005, those non-sponsored family members not already enrolled in TRICARE Prime are only eligible for care at U.S. medical treatment facilities on a space-available basis and are covered under TRICARE Standard. This means non-sponsored family members my need to seek healthcare in the local community which may require them to pay for care up front and seek reimbursement through TRICARE. Families need to be aware co-payments are also required with TRICARE Standard.

School-age children who are not command sponsored are authorized attendance at DoDDS schools on a space-available, tuition-free basis. Daegu and Seoul American High Schools have limited space available and most elementary schools are at or near maximum capacity.

9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!