Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving & Deployments...

1. Senior Member

Confused Moving & Deployments...

Advertisements
    Again I'm new to everything and my DB is just in bootcamp right now, doesn't know where he will be going after that, but in general, for marines, or any service... if they get orders to move to a base will they keep them there for a while or is it normal for them to get to the new base then be deployed right after? I'm wondering because I plan to move with him wherever he gets sent but if he's going to move then get deployed soon after I'm not sure there would be much point in me going with him. I would be living in my own place so the housing wouldn't make any difference. Any help?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Everything is up to where he works and what he does. Everyone gets different orders at different times. Like we got DH orders only a week in advance some people get them 3 months in advance. Some go to a base and deploy a month later some dont deploy for 2 years later
  3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Ordinance View Post
    Everything is up to where he works and what he does. Everyone gets different orders at different times. Like we got DH orders only a week in advance some people get them 3 months in advance. Some go to a base and deploy a month later some dont deploy for 2 years later
    she is correct. It does depend on the unit, his job, what is needed at the time he gets there. stuff like that.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. Senior Member
    blaaahhhh that doesn't help much. thanks though!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yep, you never really know til you get there. We got to Bragg and got orders to deploy a week later. Sorry it's not much help!
  6. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Volley1985 View Post
    blaaahhhh that doesn't help much. thanks though!
    sorry nothing in the military is set in stone.. ever just one of the joys of it.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    one thing you will learn very quickly with the corps is "hurry up and wait" when things happen such as deployments and moving to other bases you will know you are doing this but you wont know when. Everything is always unknown till the minute it is happening so you learn to be very flexible and understanding when your man comes home and says "Hey I am deploying but I dont know when. Maybe a week maybe 2 days maybe 4 months"
  8. lauren_riley
    "Hurry up and wait" should be the motto for the military in general! DH found out he is going to Germany, but we have to wait until he has his actual orders in hand for most of the things we need to do! As for deployment and getting orders, it really differs between units, jobs, and even the command. But if he is deployed, you will be able to stay at the base he is stationed to before he deploys. Lots of people choose to stay near their families, though.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

well my db was in Virginia for school right after bootcamp.. then now he's in Omaha Nebraska. He's been there for about almost a year now and he just moved out into an apartment in November. My advice is I wouldnt move to where he is at until he moves up in rank... I dont know what it's like for the Marines but I know in the Navy you have to live in the barracks until you're a certain rank (or atleast thats how it was for DB) so he made E4 and he got to live off base in his own apartment. You cannot live on base let alone get on base unless you are married. The problem with being a girlfriend or fiancee is you get no recognition until you are married.. to the military you're single until you are married. Also... where ever he goes its gonna take you some time to find a job, you have to make completly sure that he is able to support the both of you until you are able to find a job... which thats tough something you need to think about big time.
    Anyway seend me a message if you have anymore questions I can help out with.
    Best of luck and I hope I answered some questions