Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How do you get involved?

1. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries

Question How do you get involved?

Advertisements
    When you PCS, *if* you get involved with the FRG, etc., how do you go about it? Do you contact the ombudsman, or do you wait to be contacted?

I'm just curious, because dh and I didn't know the command had a family meeting regarding all the upcoming events in the next year or two, and dh didn't find out until the day after. I'm annoyed that I missed it, and annoyed with myself that several weeks have gone by since he checked in, and I haven't made an effort to make contact.

So, how do you do it? Are you proactive about it?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    this has been my take on it. the first ship contacted me. when he checked on i got a letter from the ombudsman with one from the FSG president, it was great. i was not involved with the group much. this ship has not been so great, i found the FSG through the previous president, and the ombudsman through the previous FSG president, my DH's sponser was not so great and when it was time to check on board we had NO idea where the ship was. it was out to sea. norfolk is a big area so it was kinda assumed that we had been here before, and just transferring ships. at least that is the excuse he was given when he checked on board. i will be going to my first FSG meeting possibly the first one since they have deployed honestly. i normally don't do much with the group so i don't complain if they are a nasty bunch of women or not. i don't listen to rumors or start them either. i don't play OH your husband is my husbands boss or my husband is your husbands boss well. and refuse to deal with people who won't take advice from people with experience and hate to compare who has it worse than the other one. so i tend to stay away from the meetings. this time i am not a new mom and want my first kiss ticket
  3. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Last time we were on sea duty, the Ombudsman role was being filled temporarily by a sub, and it was really confusing. Once the true Ombudsman came back, she contacted me and everything was good.

On shore duty, I got a letter from the Ombudsman over a year after we arrived. I emailed her asking for info about meetings, fundraisers, etc. and never heard back. EVER.

This time, dh gave the yeoman my info for the list, so I expected I would be contacted by email at least. Our sponsor never contacted us, even when we tried to contact him. I hope that things turn around, and that this isn't indicative of the way things work on this boat. Maybe dh can get some contact info for me tomorrow.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    we didn't have an ombudsman on shore unless you were IA, and there were no meetings. i would e mail the new ombudsman ask for the info and if the ship has a secure website? my DH's ship has one and they post a lot of info on it, well they should its been picked up since we have a new ombudsman. some ships even have message boards
  5. Senior Member
    On our first command the first ombudsman never made contact with me, she even walked right by me at a Christmas party I had no clue who she was until they recognized her 2 months later as she was resigning! Great PR. While I wasn't crazy about the new ombudsman as a person, she was very good at making contact with new families. As for the FSG, the first group of FSG officers made contact with me 5 months after I came to the command. The president and V.P. were better at starting drama or stirring it to keep it going. So when election of new officers came due, I ran for secretary, we got a new Pres. and VP and things moved forward from there. We were prompt at reaching out to new families. In fact, when the ship deployed, the CMC's wife hosted welcome dinners for families who arrived during deployment, she made sure to have the FSG officers and ombudsmans at the dinners, so we had good face time with these families and were able to help them settle in. Our current ship is not yet commissioned, so our crew is scattered all over the place (some in VA, some in CA, and some here with the ship in MS). Well, rumor has it we do have an ombudsman, but I haven't heard from anyone, yet. I would ask around if I were you, see if the command has a website, many of them do.
  6. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    I'll usually email the ombudsman, if her information is provided to me. DH's really good about making sure I'm in touch with those who I might need to contact.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need