Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Relocation questions...I have no idea what I'm doing here!

1. Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Formerly known as coloradokitkat

Nutts Relocation questions...I have no idea what I'm doing here!

Advertisements
    I need some pointers because I have no idea what I am doing

I will hopefully be moving to Ft. Lewis in about a month (beginning of March is what we're hoping for). I am going to meet my DB in Washington so he can become DH before he has to report. He will have to report some time around the 12 or 13th. So I know that if we get married before he reports, he can get me ammended to his orders and the army will help with the move. So here are my questions:

1) How much do they actually help pay for? Is it just like a very small amount, half of it, all of it...?

2) Does the military give you a specific moving company to contact? If so, which ones are most likely to be on the list?

3) I turn 20 on Feb. 10 but I dont have car insurance because I dont have a car! Does that pose a problem with getting a moving truck and moving to Ft. Lewis? Or because its the military will they help out with the moving company?

I'm just worried that if the military only pays for a little bit of it we wont be able to afford the move. And because I'm not 23 and I dont have car insurance I'm scared the moving companies won't let me rent a truck or move me. Basically, I'm worried that I wont be able to move up there, but won't the army help if there are any snags or problems? I mean, I'll be on his orders so won't they have to? I dont know how this whole military relocation thing works, so it would be awesome if someone could drop me a few hints
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by coloradokitkat View Post
    I need some pointers because I have no idea what I am doing

I will hopefully be moving to Ft. Lewis in about a month (beginning of March is what we're hoping for). I am going to meet my DB in Washington so he can become DH before he has to report. He will have to report some time around the 12 or 13th. So I know that if we get married before he reports, he can get me ammended to his orders and the army will help with the move. So here are my questions:

1) How much do they actually help pay for? Is it just like a very small amount, half of it, all of it...?they will pay a pretty good amount, but it is a set amount: like Per diem- this is paid per day and is a set amount for AD member and a lower amount for the spouse

2) Does the military give you a specific moving company to contact? If so, which ones are most likely to be on the list? if you do a GOV contracted move the military will set everything up

3) I turn 20 on Feb. 10 but I dont have car insurance because I dont have a car! Does that pose a problem with getting a moving truck and moving to Ft. Lewis? Or because its the military will they help out with the moving company? only if you DITY

I'm just worried that if the military only pays for a little bit of it we wont be able to afford the move. And because I'm not 23 and I dont have car insurance I'm scared the moving companies won't let me rent a truck or move me. Basically, I'm worried that I wont be able to move up there, but won't the army help if there are any snags or problems?generally speaking yes
    I mean, I'll be on his orders so won't they have to? sometimes orders cannot be ammended immediatelyI dont know how this whole military relocation thing works, so it would be awesome if someone could drop me a few hints
    a good thing to do is do a site search on PCS and you will get tons of threads pertaining to this topic- there are alot of great links to help you in many of those too.
  3. Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Formerly known as coloradokitkat
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    a good thing to do is do a site search on PCS and you will get tons of threads pertaining to this topic- there are alot of great links to help you in many of those too.
    Ok so I'm hoping GOV stands for government? And what does DITY mean?

Being 3 months pregnant I would hope that they ammend his orders ASAP!

And by setting everything up do you mean that they give me a moving company, a moving date, and say "okay be ready by this day because the truck will be there at this time to pack up all your stuff. Your flight leaves this day and the truck will arrive this day...blah blah blah"

Because if they did that....that would be AWESOME. I hate having to plan stuff with a very short amount of time. When I get back from WA to pack all of my stuff and get ready to move, I'll only have like 2 weeks to get all of this stuff planned out if we want me out there by the beginning of march!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coloradokitkat View Post
    Ok so I'm hoping GOV stands for government? And what does DITY mean?

Being 3 months pregnant I would hope that they ammend his orders ASAP!

And by setting everything up do you mean that they give me a moving company, a moving date, and say "okay be ready by this day because the truck will be there at this time to pack up all your stuff. Your flight leaves this day and the truck will arrive this day...blah blah blah"

Because if they did that....that would be AWESOME. I hate having to plan stuff with a very short amount of time. When I get back from WA to pack all of my stuff and get ready to move, I'll only have like 2 weeks to get all of this stuff planned out if we want me out there by the beginning of march!
    Ok, I havent actully experienced my first move so I will let you know what I have found out by searching. DITY=Do it your self.
    The moving company will contact you give you a date of when they will come and see what kind of stuff you have an estimate the weight. Then they will set up the date to move you. They come and pack up all your stuff for you! That's nice...
  5. Senior Member
    You contact personal property and tell them when you want the packers and movers at your house. They will get a moving company scheduled for you and pay for it 100% as long as you are within your weight limit.

You have to sign out of housing and get your flight and everything together yourself.

DITY means Do it yourself. Being pregnant you don't want to do this. That means you either pack a UHaul yourself or get your own moving company and pay for it out of pocket and then the military will reimburse you. They do give you some advanced pay but I don't know how much. I've never done a DITY.
    Under construction...

Actually highlighting everything and hitting delete was a lot easier than fixing what was here....

I'll think of something clever to put here someday....