Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Ft. Riley?

1. Senior Member

Ft. Riley?

Advertisements
    Hi everyone!

Hubby and I had a talk this morning (via IM because he's in Iraq). He wants to re-enlist in the army for another 3 years and he says that when he does he wants to go to Ft. Riley in Kansas because his side of the family is located in MO and CO, so being in KS would put us right in the middle. I told him that I am fine with where ever he wants to go because I will be done with school by the time he will be back from Iraq, and I plan to work from home with an online business so it makes me very flexible.

I have never been to the mid-west in the US and I wanted to get an idea of what Kansas is like.

Things like weather, crime rates, infrastructure, etc. To get a feel for where I am headed to. Is it more of a rural type place?

I am totally clueless.

Someone please help.

Thanks much
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Oh Kansas =D How exciting another person to kansas!!! Umm...well kansas is uh...flat...HOT as hell in the summer...Cold cold cold in the winter...we have been getting killed with snow storms the last few months...I love kansas...I am ready to get out and move to Cali with DB, but we are both from this area and discussed coming back here when he gets out...I don't know much about the Fort Riley area...I am not exactly sure where it is..I am from the Overland Park area (NE kansas) south of KC...here is a website i found for you to get more info!! http://www.riley.army.mil/
    Good luck!! PM me if you have any other specific questions!! I will help with what i can!!
  3. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree
    I've lived in Kansas my whole life and currently live in the "city" just outside Ft. Riley. We would love to stay here "forever" if we can. I absolutely love Kansas. Very low crime rates. The city near Riley is a smaller city but with a big city atmosphere. Everyone is extremely friendly and wonderful. It's actually not THAT "flat" around Riley, though if you're used to mountains, it may seem that way. Western Kansas is much flatter than mid-Kansas. It gets really cold in the winter and really hot in the summer, but for the most part the weather is great. One thing to get used to though is that the weather changes about every 5 minutes. There's a saying: "If you don't like the weather in Kansas, wait 5 minutes." Anyways. I absolutely love Kansas though a lot of people don't. If you're really into huge urban cities, Kansas isn't a good place for you, though.

Keep up with all of our adventures with renovating a 1960s ranch house - check out MY BLOG!

4. Senior Member
    I live about an hour west of Ft. Riley and I love the area. The cities surrounding Ft. Riley are really great cities, or towns. There is a university within minutes of the post so it can get a bit crowded on game days, but the atmosphere is great. The area is very supportive of the military as well. The weather here is to the extremes. Hot, dry, and windy in the summer. Cold, snowy, and windy in the winter. However spring and fall are awesome! Believe it or not, eastern Kansas is not flat. Most people think it is, but it is not. The Flint Hills are really pretty and provide some nice views. If you drive west to Colorado, Kansas does become flat.
  5. Home is where the army sends us
    Home is where the army sends us
    http://militarysos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39150
    http://militarysos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107131

I already posted in those threads so I just thought I would post the links. We just got orders to Ft. Bliss today....still working on my feelings about that
  6. Senior Member
    Thank you ladies! This is a lot of great info. Sounds like a nice place...especially to start our family. I am going to do some more reading and look at the links posted. I think we will be there for 2.5 years so I am going to have to get used to it. I hope that some of you will still be there when the time comes. Maybe we can meet up.

Thanks again girls!
  7. lyndsismith
    Kansas is the greatest place ever!!! I spent the first 24 years of my life there, 20 in the NW area (Oberlin and Colby), 1 year in Hutchinson, KS, and 3 years in Manhattan, KS (next to Ft Riley). Manhattan is beautiful, safe, and fun! I hated moving away from there. Please let me know if you need anything, as I know Manhattan really well!!!
    Im at fort riley right now and we are about to leave for fort campbell because my husband got orders and he chose to take them THANK GOD !!!!! but again like in the above said if you are a "city" person kansas DEFINATELY is not the place for you