Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Just a question...

1. OneSailorsGirl25

Question Just a question...

Advertisements
    My dh and I and our two girls are PCSing to Japan for three years.

A few days ago, I posted in the venting forum about my frustration toward the boat for not getting dh's depended authorization entry done. () Come to find out, the one person who is authorized to do this particular thing was on leave until today. (understand that we leave on Jan. 31st, stop in Iowa, and then fly out of Seattle somewhere around mid Feb). My main worry right now is that he will leave with out us, and I will follow him out later with my two girls. They are toddlers. I have tried to be an independent military wife, who can handle just about anything the Navy throws at us. This however, scares the hell out of me. I've only flown once with my girls alone, and it was only a few hours, then a break, then a few more hours. They were actually younger than they are now.

So, my question is, how often does that happen, where the military member goes alone, to have his family follow later on? Have any of you done it? Was is easy, bad, scary, etc? And do you have any tips on surviving it?

Sorry so long!!! Thanks for listening!!!
  2. Teachercat
    OMG! Thanks for posting this question. I am having the exact same concerns. MY DH is leaving on March 5 and we wont follow until June. I am so nervious about the whole thing.
  3. OneSailorsGirl25
    Quote Originally Posted by Teachercat View Post
    OMG! Thanks for posting this question. I am having the exact same concerns. MY DH is leaving on March 5 and we wont follow until June. I am so nervious about the whole thing.
    Oh!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who is freaked out!!! Its like I want to be "strong" and not show my worry to dh, because he has enough on his plate right now, but at the same time I want to break down and let him know just how freaked I am. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about the move, btu I didn't think I'd have to face going alone with our girls. (That still may not happen, but I'm not holding my breath for it not to, just because of the way things are going.)
  4. Teachercat
    Exactly, I know that he is stressed beacuse it will be a new job, new people, etc. But ME TOO!! HELLO!!! He is trying to get his orders extended, but I just don't think it is going to happen. i know that lots of people have done this alone, but I really wish I had more solid inofrmation. As ussually everything is a waiting game until two days before everything should be done.

How old are your little ones? Will you fly commercial or in military planes? Where in Japan will you be? We are going to Yakota.

Once again thank goodness I'm not the only one.

Cat
  5. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    I think he can move without u-I don't know how often it happens. If it does happen this way though, at least he can get u guys into housing and get things settled (and hopefully get ur HHG's in ur place) before u get there with the girls. So u might just have to deal with the flight alone with the girls and he'll hopefully have taken care of everything else.

I'm flying from FL to CA alone with DD this week. NOT looking forward about to it and it's not as long a flight as Iowa to Japan, but people do it, so I'm sure we can too! Just get lots to keep the girls occupied on the flight.
  6. OneSailorsGirl25
    Quote Originally Posted by Teachercat View Post
    Exactly, I know that he is stressed beacuse it will be a new job, new people, etc. But ME TOO!! HELLO!!! He is trying to get his orders extended, but I just don't think it is going to happen. i know that lots of people have done this alone, but I really wish I had more solid inofrmation. As ussually everything is a waiting game until two days before everything should be done.

How old are your little ones? Will you fly commercial or in military planes? Where in Japan will you be? We are going to Yakota.

Once again thank goodness I'm not the only one.

Cat
    We are going to Okinawa...
  7. OneSailorsGirl25
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBlue505 View Post
    Just get lots to keep the girls occupied on the flight.
    Will definitely be trying to do that!!!