Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many questions!

1. I see the light at the end of the tunnel...
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel...

So many questions!

Advertisements
    I am in need of so much information.

DLA - Can we get this in advance and can we get it quickly? I'm confused, if we get it in advance we have to pay it back? If we don't get it in advance, will we need to pay for things out of pocket and then get reimbursed? How quickly will that money come back? What exactly is DLA supposed to cover (for example, is it supposed to be covering the cost of a U-HAUL, etc.)?

What other benefits/allowances should DH be asking about before we move? I'm scheduled to be there by the end of the month.

One more question, he'll be getting leave to move us up there with him. Will the Army pay for him to get back down here and if so, will that be separate from DLA?

Sorry about all of the questions! DH is already at Ft. Carson and our house is ready to move into on the 16th, so really all we need is our stuff and myself up there. Because the Army wants me to be up there so quickly with him, we need to do this move ASAP. That's the reason for all of my questioning!
    TTFN. Ta-ta for now MSOS.
  2. Not afraid to be lonely, but I still wanna learn about love.
    Not afraid to be lonely, but I still wanna learn about love.
    Blog Entries
    Does he live with you currently? I haven't experienced a move yet, but I thought the military paid for it only if he was moving too. I was under the impression that I would have to be paying for my move when I move with him in June.....
  3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    DLA and advance travel do not get paid back those are for you to use. DLA is a lump sum meant to help adjust to move IE get you some help in finding a place to live. You can receive advance pay, but that must be paid back and I think the most you can get is 2 months worth. They make you pay it back in a year so you have to be prepared to take a hit for that. There is another hotel amount you get but only when you stay at a hotel say when you get to your new duty station and you need to stay there while getting a house or whatever, or if you have to stay at a hotel before he checks out of his current command. ( this does not include hotels you stay at while you are traveling) You only get a max of 10 days at 180 a day, but that will be reimbursed ( so save your receipts. Don't forget to file a travel claim when you to your new command to get the remainder of your travel benefits.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. I see the light at the end of the tunnel...
    He was living with me before he left for his perm. duty station, I was just unable to go because of our "lack of funding" and I was (and still am) very unprepared for the weather in Colorado. Because I'm his dependant and I'm having to move in connection with this PCS, I thought they would pay for it... or give us the DLA to pay for the move.
  5. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    If he has already moved then he should have received the money for it, you won't get two deposits just one for both you and him whether you go with him or not.. make sense?

I will miss you SOS...

6. I see the light at the end of the tunnel...
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    DLA and advance travel do not get paid back those are for you to use. DLA is a lump sum meant to help adjust to move IE get you some help in finding a place to live. You can receive advance pay, but that must be paid back and I think the most you can get is 2 months worth. They make you pay it back in a year so you have to be prepared to take a hit for that. There is another hotel amount you get but only when you stay at a hotel say when you get to your new duty station and you need to stay there while getting a house or whatever, or if you have to stay at a hotel before he checks out of his current command. ( this does not include hotels you stay at while you are traveling) You only get a max of 10 days at 180 a day, but that will be reimbursed ( so save your receipts. Don't forget to file a travel claim when you to your new command to get the remainder of your travel benefits.
    So if we get DLA in advance, we'll have to pay it back? Just so I know I understand. Since I don't want to be paying it back or anything like that, how should I go about getting DLA?
  7. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    No DLA is money that doesn't need to get paid back. Advance pay has to be paid back. DLA=Dislocation Allowance kinda like sorry you gotta move here is some money to help.

I will miss you SOS...

8. I see the light at the end of the tunnel...
    Oooooh. Haha, I get it now. Sorry everything has been a little hard to understand since I'm a first timer! Thank you so much for the help rosebud!
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki63 View Post
    He was living with me before he left for his perm. duty station, I was just unable to go because of our "lack of funding" and I was (and still am) very unprepared for the weather in Colorado. Because I'm his dependant and I'm having to move in connection with this PCS, I thought they would pay for it... or give us the DLA to pay for the move.
    ook need to know: when he went to his new PDS how long ago did he go?

did he move anything at that time?

do you know if he ALREADY recieved DLA?

DLA NEVER EVER needs to be paid back-- it is not an ADVANCE-- it can be paid in advance. but it is not classified as an advance of something ( like advance BAH or advance base pay)
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    So, you can apply for an ADVANCEMENT of DLA and his Base Pay?? How soon can you do this??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast