Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving to everett, WA... help please

1. Navy Wife Air Force Brat
    Navy Wife Air Force Brat

Screwy Moving to everett, WA... help please

Advertisements
    HI everyone! my name is laura, my husband is on shore duty in hawaii and just found out that we will be moving to Everett, WA in Aug. does anyone know where there are some good sites to look for housing and some places, towns, city, neighborhoods that would be good to live in?

I'm AF Brat and this will me my 1st time moving as a navy wife... any advice?

please note, all of these questions are generic and will be asked for all locations so some may sound silly. The questions underneath each area are only there to help you think. Please feel free to skip things that don't apply or to elaborate on things that I did not mention. (sorry i stole this list from another post, but i thought that it was very well thought out and would be helpful to me and my upcoming advent. in washington state)

**Housing:
    (How is military housing there? Which area did you live in and did you like it? Is it affordable to buy or rent in town and if so what areas would you recommend? Any additional thoughts? **i really could use a lot lot of help on where to look and what wedsites work best for finding somewhere to rent a place**)

Shopping:
    (How are the commissary and NEX? Do you shop there or out in town? What stores are available out in town? What is the local shopping like? Malls? Any places you recommend? Any additional thoughts?)

Cost of living:
    (What is the cost of living like? High? Average? Low? How did it effect your family? Was there anything special you had to do to make ends meet? Any additional thoughts?)

Military Community:
    (How is the military community? Are there resources for family and spouses? Any likes or gripes? Additional thoughts?)

Recreation:
    (What is there to do in the area for adults? For kids/families? Is there anything within a few hours driving distance?)

Weather:
    (What's the weather like? Mild? Seasonal? Hot? Humid? Rainy? Cold? Are there seasons?)

Overall:
    (Would you go back again? Why or why not? What are your main likes and gripes?)

Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by lmflores8; 01-09-2008 at 06:51 AM. Reason: more & more questions and worries
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Well my husband and I lived in Everett from 2000-2004 although I am orginially from WA state. So I will try and answer your questions

**Housing:
    (How is military housing there? Which area did you live in and did you like it? Is it affordable to buy or rent in town and if so what areas would you recommend? Any additional thoughts? **i really could use a lot lot of help on where to look and what wedsites work best for finding somewhere to rent a place**)

We didnt live in housing while there. We rented an apartment. The BAH more then covered rent, utilities and even had some left over. So cost of living was pretty reasonable. I use things like forrent.com, apartments.com etc. You can also use hearldnet.com for the local paper for finding a place. We rented from Fulltons crossing. I liked the apartment because we were close to alot of stuff including base. Alot of people rent homes in Marysville, Arlington etc.

Shopping:
    (How are the commissary and NEX? Do you shop there or out in town? What stores are available out in town? What is the local shopping like? Malls? Any places you recommend? Any additional thoughts?)

The NEX on the base is tiny. It is a very small base there. The commisarry was a little bit of a drive out at smokey point and the nex there was alot bigger and better. I used to shop at tops, but mainly made the drive to Smokey point for the commisarry. Malls.. The best one is in Lynnwood. It is Alderwood Mall. I used to work there and from my understanding has been redone and gorgeous. Everett has a small mall too. Everett Mall on Everett Mall way.

Cost of living:
    (What is the cost of living like? High? Average? Low? How did it effect your family? Was there anything special you had to do to make ends meet? Any additional thoughts?)

Cost of living was pretty average for us. I worked but I didnt have to. I did because we were childless and I wanted something to do.

Military Community:
    (How is the military community? Are there resources for family and spouses? Any likes or gripes? Additional thoughts?)

The military community is alright. You can find fleet and family services and all that. And then whatever ship you will be attached to will have family groups and what not.

Recreation:
    (What is there to do in the area for adults? For kids/families? Is there anything within a few hours driving distance?)

Things to do there is plentiful. Canada is a short drive away and GORGEOUS. I LOVE going shopping there and staying a weekend. There are LOTS of places to camp and go hiking. Sking is popular, downtown has the science center, space needle, waterfront, pikes place market etc. You can drive to snoqualimie falls which is gorgeous and walk around that area. The mountains are close by (Rainer, st helens etc) hunting, fishing, just all sorts of stuff

Weather:
    (What's the weather like? Mild? Seasonal? Hot? Humid? Rainy? Cold? Are there seasons?)

The weather there is considered rainy. But keep in mind that other states get more rainfall TOTALS then WA does. It is just drizzly/misty alot. Expect cloudy/grey for 9ish months out of the year. Winter CAN get cold. It isnt really humid. The heat there is pretty dry. Summers cannot be beat there. Gorgeous, not humid usually, temps in the 80's. etc And yes there are seaons.

Overall:
    (Would you go back again? Why or why not? What are your main likes and gripes?)

Yes I would go back. Again I am biased cuz I am FROM wa state. My husband who is from TX actually wants to look at settling there tho once he retires. He loved the climate, the scenery, the things to do etc
  3. Navy Wife Air Force Brat
    Navy Wife Air Force Brat
    Wow thanks so much all that information it is very helpful. I'm kinda nervous if you can't tell and vinnesgirl a friend/co-worker of mine reccomanded this site, i'm glad she did. I'm really neverous about the move because i have a husky/chocolate lab mix and leaving him behind is not an option for us... i'm worried i won't find somewhere to live that will allow pets and have a back yard for him. Is WA and that area near the base dog friendly?

It's Not Brave If Your Not Scared" - Abby (From The Movie Bounce)
  4. Senior Member
    The info already given is great! Alderwood Mall has been redone and is definitely wonderful now. We drive from Whidbey Island down there (about an hour and a half drive) because it's so good.

I love WA. We were married there, moved to FL for shore duty and fought for orders to get back up here. We LOVE it. I don't mind the drizzle. In fact, after FL it was a welcomed change. There's great snowboarding up here too. If you go to www.navylifepnw.com you'll find a ton of information about the area and services on base. This site covers all of the Navy bases in the state, but it's really useful.

Welcome to WA!
  5. Senior Member
    I forgot to mention- there are a lot of off-leash dog parks around here. I'm not sure about in Everett, but Whidbey Island isn't that far from you and we have a good number of them here.

If you contact the housing office, they can fax you a listing of rentals in the area that are pet friendly. You can also limit it by distance from the base and price range. That's assuming you want off-base housing. I've no idea how the Everett base housing is. I know BAH is really good there, much higher than we get and, as I understand it, the cost of living is about the same.

If you want to work, you're within commutable distance of Seattle, although the traffic is pretty bad. You might prefer to stick with Everett or even Lynnwood.

Let us know when you get in!