Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: state inspections

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Question state inspections

Advertisements
    ok..so i got my car back home in VA and they require state inspections.....well we are now in IL and will be here when the state inspection expires...so how do i go about getting a VA state inspection....do i have to go all the way back to VA? Is there a way for me to do it out of state....? what if i were to get pulled over for it driving down to VA? ??????
    TIA

Everyday you spend worrying about tomorrow...you miss living for today...
  2. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

why didn't you get it done before you left? You have the car with you right, otherwise I would say get someone to get it done for you

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    ok when i lived in NC they also made you inspect your car every year.
    now that im living in arkansas i called to ask about that since i will be in college, i tried to use that as an excuse.
    they said you HAVE to come to NC no exceptions. i asked if i could have it done in arkansas or anything like that and they said no.
    so car insurance was cheapier here so i just changed everything to arkansas.

if you are married tho i would def. throw in there your hubby is in the military.
    good luck w/everything! the ppl in NC just didn't wanna work w/me! oh well they lost money haha
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by sandykay View Post
    why didn't you get it done before you left? You have the car with you right, otherwise I would say get someone to get it done for you
    the inspection was brand new when we left....it'll just be expired by the time we leave to wherever we get stationed next...

Everyday you spend worrying about tomorrow...you miss living for today...
  5. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    Call and ask or look on their website.

CA requires smog inspections to renew registration. But since I'm living out of CA, especially in states that don't do the CA standard smog inspections, I just sent a note explaining that DH is AD, and we're living out of state on orders even though we're keeping our CA residency. That's what the DMV told me to do when I called them about it the first time I was required to get a smog inspection after we moved. Since then, they send my renewal papers to my out of state address without a smog requirement. Since I'm residing out of CA, my car is smog exempt until I move back.
  6. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    Want to add that it all depends on the state. We get to renew our CA drivers licenses by mail too with a note and copy of military ID for our out of state address.

BUT our old roommate (when we were newlyweds living in CA) was from Kentucky. I guess at the time they didn't have their DMV automated or anything. He had to physically go back to Kentucky every year to city hall to renew his car registration and for changes/renewing his license.
  7. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    I'm not sure that you'll need one while living in IL. I'm pretty sure IL can not enforce VA inspection.
    When you get back to VA, get it inspected ASAP. If you get pulled over, just let them know you're living in IL (you might have to have some sort of proof)

8. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    if it's cheaper you might want to get it registered in IL, lots of times they waive fees for the military. For instance in WA at one time they charged by what your car was worth for residents for military it was a flat fee to register your car. If VA requires some kind of check then you will probably have to be in VA to get it registered. you can always go online and find out VA's requirements

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Our car had VA tags and inspection when we moved to TX. When our inspection was up we got it done in TX and then had it changed immediately after we got to VA. If you happend to going through or to VA during your move and you get an inspection elsewhere I would highly reccomend getting your inspection redone just as soon as you get to VA since you can get a ticket for having VA tags and different state inspection.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Both of our cars have LA tags. I just renew my brake tags whenever I go home. I have been stopped on the way, and because my car insurance states that I dont live in state, he let me go. I told him that as soon as I got home, that is the first thing I was doing. Wasnt a big deal.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast