Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: relocating to fort hood

1. FutureMrsBarki

relocating to fort hood

Advertisements
    have any of you been stationed with your husbands at fort hood???? John and I are getting married next month and will be living in fort hood texas. he is now at bragg and just came home from deployment in october.
    I am really worried I know nothing about texas and am leaving everything I know and have in new york where we both grew up. any advice?
  2. Senior Member
    We will be PCS' to Ft. Hood shortly. All I can say is the weather there is totaly kooky! We currently live in Arkansas and the weather is not much different. HOT HOT summers and the weather can change daily!! LOL LOL Welcome, hope we get to meet up someday soon!! (Everything's bigger in TX!! LOL LOL)
  3. FutureMrsBarki
    oh awesome! I heard the weather can get crazy there too. we will be there in march. hope we can KIT
  4. Senior Member
    I'm moving to the fort hood area in feb!!! It's OKAY....but austin is nearby, so that makes it better. hott summers and no snow... just ice in the winters... good barbecue, and country music. we'll have to have a fort hood SOS get together sometime!!!
  5. fridaynightgirl
    Actually, Texas is about a lot more than beer, bbq and country music. Not to get on a high horse here but Texas has some of the best shopping in the country, two of the largest metropolitan areas (D/FW and Houston) in the country, lots and LOTS of cultural opportunities (galleries, opera, symphony, ballet, art, etc.) and some of the nicest dang folks in the entire world. Our housing market is faring better than many other states and you can get a LOT more house for your money.

I grew up here and, while following DB anywhere the Army sends him may take me away from here, Texas will always be my home. When you get here, give me a buzz and I'll give you the grand tour. I live in Temple, just a short 20 minute drive from Hood.
  6. fridaynightgirl
    I will say the weather is funny here. It does get hot in the summers (and they last from about May until October) and we very rarely get snow (thank goodness!). It does ice over usually once or twice a year (in February) and you know it's spring and fall when it starts to rain. And I don't mean showers, we do it BIG in Texas - these are rumble the foundations of your house thunderstorms. LOL
  7. Y SO SRS?
    Y SO SRS?
    Quote Originally Posted by fridaynightgirl View Post
    And I don't mean showers, we do it BIG in Texas - these are rumble the foundations of your house thunderstorms. LOL
    OMG yes. the thunder used to set off car alarms in the parking lot at my old apartment complex.

when we where there it seemed to ice over a lot in the winter and it rained a lot all seasons. i guess it could have just been a fluke while we were there.

i didn't like ft hood all that much but i think that mostly had to do with problems dh and i had. he got put into a really crap unit and we literally never saw each other. i think we could have had a lot of fun there if things had been a little different.

there's a lot of lakes in the area. lake belton is the close one. there's a waterpark (i think it was voted #1 in the country) not too far away that i never got to go to. there's a neat old theater in the nearby town of copperas cove and drive-in theaters in killeen and gatesville (i'm from cali and drive-ins are a novelty for me). a couple nightclubs in the area. i never found austin too fun. there's 6th st but dh doesn't drink so we never went. i LOVE san antonio though. definitely make a trip out there. oh, and get some of bush's sweet tea (a local fast food place), it's sooo good.

you could have a lot of fun at hood. it's what you make of it.
  8. FutureMrsBarki
    Its really good to hear you say that there is alot to do there in texas. Alot of the other women I have been talking to say that they hate it and there is nothing to do. My fiance and I are excited and we have fun no matter what but I am worried about making friends and fitting in. I am a TOTAL shopper! I live 20 minutes from manhattan and frequently shop. hehe. I am really nervous about mocing there but I would follow My fiance anywhere. so I am also new to this site and dont really know how to navigate i yet. I am guessing that some of the terms you use like DB and DF mean deployed boyfriend or deployed husband?? It was really nice to find this site and know that there are girls like that out there just like me.
  9. Kym
    db and df mean dear boyfriend or dear fiance (or whatever else you want to use the D for)
    KYM
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureMrsBarki View Post
    Its really good to hear you say that there is alot to do there in texas. Alot of the other women I have been talking to say that they hate it and there is nothing to do. My fiance and I are excited and we have fun no matter what but I am worried about making friends and fitting in. I am a TOTAL shopper! I live 20 minutes from manhattan and frequently shop. hehe. I am really nervous about mocing there but I would follow My fiance anywhere. so I am also new to this site and dont really know how to navigate i yet. I am guessing that some of the terms you use like DB and DF mean deployed boyfriend or deployed husband?? It was really nice to find this site and know that there are girls like that out there just like me.
    it can mean anything you make it....dear boyfriend, dumb boyfriend, damn boyfriend

i don't think there's much shopping in killeen... there's a really nice outlet mall in round rock like 45 mins away. that's the only thing, everything in texas seems to be very spread out, so you gotta drive, but there's tons to do. you will be bored if you stay at home. you can even go to shiner, texas and tour the brewery!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast