Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCS Travel Advances

1. Senior Member

Confused PCS Travel Advances

Advertisements
    Once again I have a question.. (Sorry to be a board hog) Here is our story:

DH Fractured his ankle in 9 different places while in OSUT. They allowed him to Graduate since it was on the last march, last week of training. They gave him a 30 day Medical Leave. He will return to the Training Base for however long to let it continue to heal before they will give him an RTD. One of the DS told him that most likly he will have to report to his duty station before coming home to move us. (meaning go straight from Ft. Benning to Ft. Hood) He will have 10 days to move us. So,,,,, When can he apply for the travel advances?? Before he leaves Benning, or after arriving at Hood? I really think that we will need any and all help we can get. I have included the info from militaryhomefront.dod below... I get confused easily... LOL LOL

When making a PCS move, Service members can request advance payment of 80% of the DLA, MALT, and per diem amounts. The remainder will be paid upon processing of the travel voucher filed after the move is completed. This money does not have to be repaid, if the proper paperwork is completed. It can go a long way toward paying the initial cost of setting up household in the new location.

Advances may typically be requested ten days before signing out of the losing unit. The funds will be deposited into the Service member's checking account, so do not close the account when leaving the installation.
    If an advance is not requested, entitlements will be paid after completing the move and filing the travel voucher, and payment can take several weeks.
  2. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    I believe he should file BEFORE he goes to his new duty station. if you wait till he gets to hood there might not be enough time to get the money to you all, and you will have no money for travel.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

3. Banned
    Banned
    the money comes from the losing command and will need to be filed for before he leaves.

I believe you can file for it up to 30 days in advance -- we always have and have it it 10-14 days before moving.

also NOTE that DLA can be paid in full BEFORE the move since this is a FLAT RATE allowance-- make sure when doing the paperwork that they do not lump it in with TRAVEL allowances you will have to make them file it seperately to be paid seperately and some branches will pitch a fit since it is a little extra work for them!!!
    BUT just tell them it is in the JFTR that it can be done this way!!!
  4. Senior Member

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    the money comes from the losing command and will need to be filed for before he leaves.

I believe you can file for it up to 30 days in advance -- we always have and have it it 10-14 days before moving.

also NOTE that DLA can be paid in full BEFORE the move since this is a FLAT RATE allowance-- make sure when doing the paperwork that they do not lump it in with TRAVEL allowances you will have to make them file it seperately to be paid seperately and some branches will pitch a fit since it is a little extra work for them!!!
    Thanks! DH is heading out for Benning tomorrow AM and is hoping for an RTD!!! (Crossing fingers) Thanks for all your help... Hopefully we get all that we are entitled to...
  5. Senior Member

Mad

Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post

Ok, so DH is on his way home to get us!!!! He just informed me that he was unable to get the DLA! The office told him that he could only receive this after his dependents arrived!!! WTC??? I'm so mad right now.. I think he was confused on what to ask for and didnt tell them correctly... I'm so angry....