Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Movers

1. mermom

Question Movers

Advertisements
    We're PCS'ing in a few weeks and doing a partial DITY move. We have to be at our new duty station the day before the movers are scheduled to pick up our stuff. We will have someone overseeing the movers when they come, but I have a question about protocal.

Do I need to pack the stuff up before the movers come, or do they actually box everything up?
    I know that's probably a basic question, but well I've never used a moving company before, and they haven't returned my calls.

TIA
  2. Beccalynne21
    I wish I knew that answer. I was told NOT to pack anything that they inventory everything and pack it up. They came this morning and looked around and said they had to reschedule. I told them we were leavign for California tomorrow, she said nothing is organized. I have all bathrooms, bedrooms, all closets cleaned out. All that needed to be done was put everything on the moving truck.

Oh yea, these guys didnt have boxes and it was an old woman and an old man, one guy in his 40's to move a family of 6. So ummm I dont know how they thought they were going to do it all alone and no boxes. She told me I needed to have everything inventoried and organized.,..she couldnt elaborate on this. But just another hellish milestone in this MFH - Move From Hell. From what Ive been told, the first PCS move is a nightmare for most...because we dont know what to do and no one takes the time to help out or tell us what to do. You can ask all you want if your lucky enought to get someone in the office. But here in KY, they have Fridays off.

Hubbi is having pains in his chest from all this..after all I quit my job for this move and after tomorrow we have to be gone ...out of the house..
    Quote Originally Posted by mermom View Post
    We're PCS'ing in a few weeks and doing a partial DITY move. We have to be at our new duty station the day before the movers are scheduled to pick up our stuff. We will have someone overseeing the movers when they come, but I have a question about protocal.

Do I need to pack the stuff up before the movers come, or do they actually box everything up?
    I know that's probably a basic question, but well I've never used a moving company before, and they haven't returned my calls.

TIA
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    When we transferred, the sponser needed to be the one signing the paperwork. You better find out before hand.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. mermom
    Beccalynne21 I wish I knew that answer. I was told NOT to pack anything that they inventory everything and pack it up. They came this morning and looked around and said they had to reschedule. I told them we were leavign for California tomorrow, she said nothing is organized. I have all bathrooms, bedrooms, all closets cleaned out. All that needed to be done was put everything on the moving truck.

Oh yea, these guys didnt have boxes and it was an old woman and an old man, one guy in his 40's to move a family of 6. So ummm I dont know how they thought they were going to do it all alone and no boxes. She told me I needed to have everything inventoried and organized.,..she couldnt elaborate on this. But just another hellish milestone in this MFH - Move From Hell. From what Ive been told, the first PCS move is a nightmare for most...because we dont know what to do and no one takes the time to help out or tell us what to do. You can ask all you want if your lucky enought to get someone in the office. But here in KY, they have Fridays off.

Hubbi is having pains in his chest from all this..after all I quit my job for this move and after
    Oh. My. Goodness. I think I would have had a nervous breakdown right about then. The first PCS is really starting to seem like some sick hazing ritual.
    We've been trying to get a hold of someone for a week now. I'm starting to wonder if this office even exsists.
  5. mermom
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    When we transferred, the sponser needed to be the one signing the paperwork. You better find out before hand.
    He signed a bunch of paperwork authorizing my mom to oversee everything, but I'll have him double check. Thanks!
  6. Banned
    Banned
    he needs to make sure his mom has a "specific Power of attorney".

do not pack anything- just take everythnig off the walls and since you will be leaving the housse before the movers come you will have already seperated the DITY stuff LOL!!

I have not seen any threads where you were asking about DITY_

so if you already know that;s cool BUT:

Make sure you have all the DITY paperwork signed and dated

make sure you weigh the vehicle empty and full before leaving PDS location.

make sure you save reciepts for tolls and any costs associated with the move- even if you think it is not reimbursble... you never know if the rules will change mid PCS!!! LOL

And good luck!!!
  7. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    you will need the specific POA to move. it has to be worded to say so and so has the ability to move Household Goods. I never had to pack anything. they packed it all. if they didn't they just left it there. Each moving company has their own rules on what they will pack. One will pack candles, shampoo and soaps. My last one didn't. either way you will know when there is stuff left in your house. Don't forget to empty the garbage or they will pack that too.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccalynne21 View Post
    I wish I knew that answer. I was told NOT to pack anything that they inventory everything and pack it up. They came this morning and looked around and said they had to reschedule. I told them we were leavign for California tomorrow, she said nothing is organized. I have all bathrooms, bedrooms, all closets cleaned out. All that needed to be done was put everything on the moving truck.

Hubbi is having pains in his chest from all this..after all I quit my job for this move and after tomorrow we have to be gone ...out of the house..

this is COMPLETELY unacceptable- please call your Transportation office ASAP monday morning- you do not need to inventory ANYTHING that is thier job-- nor do you have to have anything organised-- I would highly suggest writing a letter of complaint also telling the GOV that they contracted a company that came with no boxes, no packing material, sent only 2 packers for a 10,000 ( or so ) pack out and that they told you to inventory and organise your OWN HHGS!!

I would be LIVID-- actually I am LIVID for you!!! ohhh I would chew them a new one for sure!!!
  9. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccalynne21 View Post

f that, i would be PISSED!!! i have never had to organize crap.. shame on them. and no you don't inventory anything that is their job. Seriously i would be complaining to everyone I could. hopefully they will get fired.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.