Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving Tips for a scared child?

1. God is great, Beer is good and People are crazy...
    God is great, Beer is good and People are crazy...

Confused Moving Tips for a scared child?

Advertisements
    My dd is 5 and she has been through moves before but she doesnt remember them well. She has lived here for 2 years straight and she is scared to leave. She was crying last night because she missed her nana (her grandma) and didnt want to leave her for California. Does anyone have some tips for or even advice to help her get excited about moving? We are leaving soon but I can not post the exact date on here due to prying eyes. Thank you in advance!
  2. Living in paradise :D
    Living in paradise :D
    For me, I'd start more reassuring like letting her know she can call her grandma often, maybe get grandma a webcam and try out a webcam session before u leave so she can see she'll be able to see grandma (and u can show grandma how to work it before ur far away). Get some cheap photo books made (walmart.com has them for like $5 each) of her family and friends she's leaving so she'll be able to "have them close." Let her take some fav stuffed animals or blankets with her to travel with.

Start asking her how she'll want to decorate her new room (will she want to decorate it like it is now, or does she think she'll want to switch things around and have her pictures in different spots in relation to the bed-maybe talk about something new u can get her room so she's looking forward to that in the new room) and of possible places to put things (like will she want her bed near a window or her closet). Maybe look up fun places to go on the internet and show her pics so she can see the fun things she'll get to do there. If she's more girly, u could pick out special outfits with her that are special for wearing the day she gets to the house, or her first day at her new school so she'll be excited about the special outfits.
  3. Senior Member
    Quite honestly at that age she is still going to take cues from you as her parents. If you get stressed she will as well. You need to be as positive and motivated about the move as you possibly can. If you are feeling stressed or upset do it in private, don't have discussions about it in front of her. She will miss her friends but bring up the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends. Give her as much FUN information about where you are going as possible.

Good luck!
  4. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Keep things fun and up beat when you talk about the move. Try and get pictures of the new house to let her know what it will look like and talk to her about her room. Let her know all the fun things that will happen when you move, like seeing different parts of the country on the way down. Maybe show her on a map where you will be living, talk about what is near where you are going.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I have taken child development and books are a good coping tool. If you go online and look some up I think you can find some prettty good ones and give that a shot
  6. God is great, Beer is good and People are crazy...
    God is great, Beer is good and People are crazy...
    We are so super excited to be going back to Cali. She is remembers Cali because we lived there before. She is just scared. We told her that there are alot of people who cant wait for us to come out there, Plus my mom might be going with us to Cali to help with our move. Thanks for all the wonderful tips yall! I truly appreciate it all!