Military Significant Others and Spouse Support -
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Car insurance and moving from base to base?

  1. Account Closed
    Dr. K's Avatar
    Dr. K is offline
    Account Closed
    Join Date
    Nov 2006

    Car insurance and moving from base to base?

    My boyfriend told me that prior enlisted men he's met at Officer Candidate School have told him that you can keep your car registered and have insurance in your hometown when you are military since you get relocated about every two years. Is that true? I understand you'd have to change the registration and insurance once you know you are permanent in a certain state, but if you are going out to a base for about 2 years... do you have to change all the car information? Thanks!
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Victoria's Avatar
    Victoria is offline
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Bryan says it's true! He did it for 2-1/2 years prior to meeting me and moving to Hawaii. He kept his PA driver's license, car registered in PA, insurance based on Home or Record(PA)....that's all he can think of.
  3. Noel2385
    Noel2385's Avatar
    my DB is stationed in TX and still has everything registered in CT, has a CT license plate, etc. so I think your DB is right
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    LittleMsSunshine's Avatar
    LittleMsSunshine is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    I don't know exactly how it works.... but I know that my friends who moved from WA to KS kept their cars registered in WA.... but got new insurance in Kansas.... it was SO MUCH CHEAPER in Kansas.

    If you can, check out insurance rates for wherever you're going to... might save you money
  5. Senior Member
    USCGBoxerMom's Avatar
    USCGBoxerMom is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    You can but depending on your insurance company you may not be able to. We have USAA and we just tell them where we are living and they have our insurance in that state regardless of where our vehicle is registered because depending on the state you may be required to carry their state required insurance. Also a lot of that applies only to the AD member not the spouse, unless the cars are registered ONLY in the AD members name, something to think about.
  6. Psych Student by Day..
    Kara's Avatar
    Kara is offline
    Psych Student by Day..
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Mike is stationed in Newport,RI and kept his insurance and everything in Massachusetts

    Thank you for my siggy Stacey!
    He's home from Iraq!
  7. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    each state has different requirements-

    I have my car currently registered in AK until 09, I can keep it registered there until it needs to be redone- and then AK does not allow Mail in renewals so I will have to change it( even for Residents)

    and IN every state I have ever lived in- ( ALOT) we always had to carry in state insurance... AK< HI<FL< MI< AR<GA<CA<VA...

    so the best bet is to find out when you plan on getting stationed somewhere.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts