Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: housing etc.

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Nutts housing etc.

Advertisements
    OK ladies, this post might be a little all over the place as I'm stressing a little.

I'll give you some back story.... We have a mobile home in NC that we got suckered into buying and it's not in the best shape. We don't have the money to repair the ceiling, landscaping, and for the new back door that it needs. I'd like to do lots of other stuff to it to update it, but no money for that either. I've considered claiming bankruptcy several times because I don't want to pay for this house anymore, but that's no very responsible. So of course we don't do that. I'm posting that we are trying to sell the home as an assumable loan. I'm just worried it won't sell. We can't get a loan because we are already maxed out financially.

He leaves for boot in March. We want to be able to go with him on FL for his training after boot. Are there any programs to help us sell our house? If we could afford it, I'd leave the house here until it sells, but I'm just not totally sure what his "full" pay will be. Of course I know his base pay, but then all the additional ones and then how much taxes will be taken out....so basically his net pay is what I don't know.

We would probably be able to afford it IIIIFFF I found a job right away. I'm sure that would be hard thought considering I'd have to find the job before I move and then I'm sure they'd ask why I'm moving to that area. I've been told that you shouldn't tell you are a military family, if you don't have to. We are also trying to work towards me not having to work. Which with his bonus, it'll take away a lot of our debt. (Do any of you gals know how they are paid out??? We've heard different things.)

I'm not in yet and I'm already frustrated at not being able to plan....lol. I also freaked the other day when I thought about how it will work if he leaves later than march and it'll push out when he gets his duty station. The little one starts kindergarten this year. I'd like to be at his duty station prior to enrolling. I'd love to find housing on base prior to us moving. Wouldn't it be nice if all of that worked together......LOL.

I also freaked out thinking about tell my most recent employer (hired in June of 07) that I'll be leaving in the next 6 months to be with my husband. So many changes are going on, it's a small office, and they are looking to train me on some of the new stuff)

We don't live in military town so you ladies are my only resource.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    How long is his school for? I know most schools arent longer than 6 months which means the military will not pay to move to where his school is.

i am not sure how first enlistments work, but i know re-enlistment bonus' are paid out half up front and then installments once a year over the term of his enlistment.

selling the house, i have no clue on.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Training is less than 6 months. I'm aware that they won't pay for the move... we are going to store most of our stuff in storage in NC and then once we get to the duty station or know what that is, have them move it out of storage to our new duty station.

It is his first enlistment.

Thanks for responding.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kblalock View Post
    Training is less than 6 months. I'm aware that they won't pay for the move... we are going to store most of our stuff in storage in NC and then once we get to the duty station or know what that is, have them move it out of storage to our new duty station.

It is his first enlistment.

Thanks for responding.
    ok -- first -- there is nothing the military can do for you regarding the mobile home-- can you rent it?

then since the school is not 6 months long or longer- they will not pay to move you, nor pay for your storage- BAH will be for where his HOME of record is- unless he requests a change- but note that it will be granted if the BAH rate is LOWER in pensa cola than NC- and most likely will not get approved if it is higher-- and if it does get changed once changed you cannot get it changed back.
    if you live in the area that he is in school you will not get seperation pay-

also that if you put stuff in storage 3 things must happen- you must be their ( you with a POA or the AD member him/herself) or you have to give POA to someone to open the storage and stay and watch them--
    2) they will need to repack everything!! this can be done in 5-6 hours for a small unit or 10-15 hours ( up to 2 days) if it is a big storage and you have alot of stuff.

when you go to do your official travel: you will only get travel pay ( per diem and Mileiage) from the HOR- and say the HOR is Jacksonville NC- and you move to Charleston SC- you will only get the per diem and mileage between the two cities-
    NOT from pensa cola to Charleston.

and then you need to check on how tricare works- since I believe NC and FL are different regions...

not something I would do-- too complicated and too much stress and work...

yes I am married to a military man.

Oh and I just thought-- my DS went to "a school" in Pensacola-- and he was always busy studying- and had to live in the barracks-- would your DH have to live in the barracks?
  5. barbiegirl103
    I really dont think there is anything that can be done about selling your place through the military---when my husband went into boot camp we put our home for sale, and it sold the day he came out. So I would recommend that you put it for sale now if you dont plan to live there. Also, if you are that badly in debt there is nothing wrong with filing for bankruptcy--it would be a huge load off your back. All kinds of people have to file for bakruptcy- so dont let a stigma deter you because it may be the best thing for you. There is life after bankruptcy....but I digress...

My husband's "A" school was longer than 6 months and they DID NOT pay for us to move with him. He got a small portion of his bonus when he finished boot camp (I would say about 1/3) and then the rest after "A" school. They do take taxes out, so you do get substatially less than what is offered.

If his school is only a few weeks I would stay put. It is hard to be away, but as far as I know from experience, he wont get to live with you anyway. He will be on phases to help him bring him slowly back into society after being in boot camp and will have to live in a barrack. My husband only got to spend a few hours a day with us, and not everyday because they have duty days when they have to work too.

As far as your child starting school, that is part of the military life. This will be my son's 3rd school in the past 2 years....

As far as base housing goes, you cant apply for housing until your husband reports to his duty station. They do that because orders change all the time, so they want to make sure that you are there before they put you on a list--and usually there is a waiting list that varies in length for each station.

I hope this helps!
  6. Kym
    BAH is not determined based on home of record but where he is stationed. When he finds out where he is going, then that is when you should worry about moving and finding a job, enrolling your child in school, ect. Make sure you and your child are on his orders if you want the navy to move you. They won't just move because they are nice, you have to be on those orders. If you want to be with him while he is in school then YOU have move yourselves up there but let me just tell you this, there is no guarantee his command will allow him to live with you if you are up there. He isn't going to get his orders for his next duty station right after boot camp. He will get those while in A school. Once he leaves for boot camp then you can make some plans but always keep in mind that those plans will change. He could get hurt or something and be set back, he could do fine and go on to A school and then something happen and he is set back. Never EVER plan on anything while dealing with the military
    KYM
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I really don't have a clue My mom's neighbors have been living apart for a year now because they bought this gorgeous house in Jacksonville and put it up for sale before he got new orders, but it STILL hasn't sold and he's been at the new station for a long time. They just can't afford for her to move right now, pretty much same situation you're in. I hope you can find a way to sell it so you won't have to wait around.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    BAH IS BASED ON HOME OF RECORD FOR NEW RECRUITS IN BOOT CAMP AND MOST A-SCHOOLS----

after they arrive at thier first duty station then and only then will it change to DUTY SECTION!!!

how can they get BAH for a duty station when they do not even have one????
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    BAH IS BASED ON HOME OF RECORD FOR NEW RECRUITS IN BOOT CAMP AND MOST A-SCHOOLS----

after they arrive at thier first duty station then and only then will it change to DUTY SECTION!!!

how can they get BAH for a duty station when they do not even have one????
    Jason taught at the A School up in Great Lakes and he says he's pretty sure that their BAH is based out of Great Lakes, not home of origin.
  10. Kym
    First off, do not yell at me. Second it is duty station not section. You didn't say whether it was for boot camp or not so I responded to the BAH as if it were for the standard BAH. His BAH will be where the family is because they can not accompany him to boot camp. If he goes to an A school that authorizes him to bring his family then it will be for wherever that school is.
    KYM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast