Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My boyfriend asked me to move overseas...

1. sqptoal

Confused My boyfriend asked me to move overseas...

Advertisements
    I know next to nothing about military regulations and need advice. My boyfriend got restationed to the UK a year ago. He called me about 6 months ago and asked if I would be interested in selling my house and having me and my son come live there with him and his son. My house was sold less than a month later. He is tdy right now. My questions are: how difficult is this move going to be if we're not married? Is it even a possibility? Should we get married or would that hinder our chances of being together? I'm worried about my son being able to go to school on base and being able to shop on base and stuff if he gets sent somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the best way to accomplish all this?... I miss him so and want us all together again.
  2. I'm Only A Little Crazy
    I'm Only A Little Crazy
    That's a big decision. The military wont really recognize you if you aren't married so no your son wouldn't be able to go to school on base. I know that some of the other girls will have more advice for you but I would never move overseas to be with someone if we wern't married. Welcome to SOS btw.
  3. Senior Member
    I personally would not move overseas with someone if I was not married. You will not be able to put your son on school on base or shop on base since you are not considered a military dep. till you are married. They will not help you with the move at all and I am not sure if they will move you even if you guys get married since you weren't on his original orders. Being married would be so much easier I would think. But that is not a reason to run off and get married either I don't think.
  4. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dannysgirl004 View Post
    I personally would not move overseas with someone if I was not married. You will not be able to put your son on school on base or shop on base since you are not considered a military dep. till you are married. They will not help you with the move at all and I am not sure if they will move you even if you guys get married since you weren't on his original orders. Being married would be so much easier I would think. But that is not a reason to run off and get married either I don't think.

"Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  5. sqptoal

thank you

we've discuss marriage already... we lived together before he left. I know that we would have to pay for the move ourselves because we weren't married when he got the orders. Should we get married in the states? and how long would it take for me and my son to get to move there?
  6. sqptoal

btw

thanks for the replies and the welcome. I'm so new to all this and could use all the help and advice I can get, lol.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If you already want to get married I would deffinitly say get married in the states. If you do htat then the military will pay for your move and you will recieve BAH so that pays for housing. Then also your son can go to school on base and you can do things like shop there and live there. As far as how long it takes that really all depends on a lot and is a question your man will need to ask either a higher up or someone who has done it
  8. sqptoal

Smile

I'll see him here within the next month. He said he's bringing a bunch of paperwork that I would need to fill out for back ground checks and stuff like that. He said it took his friends wife about 2 months to get it all back. I guess I'll have a whole bunch of questions for him, lol. Thanks for the help.
  9. Senior Member
    Good luck. If you two do get married your son will have all the benifits that his son does as long as you put him on his page 2 and you have 90% custody. Then he will have medical and be able to go to school on base. Dh isn't my boys biological dad, but since we have full custody they have all the same benifits as if they were. Since you had already planned on getting married I don't see why you shouldn't.
  10. Epic
    Epic

What base if your boyfriend stationed at?

My husband and I are stationed in the UK and I do not advise moving over here without being married. First, you will need a VISA, without one you will have to leave the country after 90 days. Second, you won't be command sponsored so you won't have free access to the base which includes no medical and dental coverage.

Once you get married it can take anywhere from a month to 6 months to get all the paperwork for you to move to the UK. It just depends on how fast the offices move.

If you have any questions just ask or send me a PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast