Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: driver's license and registering vehicles

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

driver's license and registering vehicles

Advertisements
    We haven't moved yet, but will be in the next 6-12 months. I was wondering what the laws were on changing your driver's license and vehicle tags/registration? I mean you can move around a lot, so each time we move, we are going to have to change our information? Seems like they would give military families a break.
  2. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    it varies state to state. In WA as a dependent you don't have to change your license over ( for most states the AD member can keep their home state license) A lot of states also have a flat rate tag for AD.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    We have always had Louisiana plates and licenses. I have never changed mine in the past 11.5 years we have been married.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    As a dependent, if you get a job you are suppose to change your residency. That is the right way to do it according to law. Not everyone does.

If your vehicle is in your sponsors name, you don't have to chagne it. The AD memeber doesn't have to change. He is exempt from things.

When we moved to MT we changed our truck to MT and found that because it was in his name, we pay 22 a year for personalized plates.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  5. Windy
    In some states (even as a dependent) you can get a d/l with no exper. date because you guys are military. Like WA. I didn't know until another mil. spouse showed me hers.
  6. Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    Gained a child but lost my sanity!
    If the car title/registration has your name on it you are legally supossed to get new tags, which includes paying all the fees . If it is just in your DH's name though you should be okay. The license thing varies state to state but for the most part you are supossed to change yours.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thanks ladies. I'm not sure what we will do. The vehicle is in both our names.
  8. Formerly Soldierswifey25
    Formerly Soldierswifey25
    We live in GA and our vehicle is in both of our names and we were able to get the Ad Valorem letter from Jag for the taxes on the car so that we didnt have to pay them. Only thing we did pay for was the tags which was 38 bucks. Me and my husband both changed our licenses but we didnt have to . Just go to the DMV site for the state your moving to and it usually has the requirements for military members and dependants on there.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by SoldiersWifey25 View Post
    We live in GA and our vehicle is in both of our names and we were able to get the Ad Valorem letter from Jag for the taxes on the car so that we didnt have to pay them. Only thing we did pay for was the tags which was 38 bucks. Me and my husband both changed our licenses but we didnt have to . Just go to the DMV site for the state your moving to and it usually has the requirements for military members and dependants on there.
    Thanks! I'm a doof, I didn't even think about that.