Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First PCS move. HELP!!!

1. Senior Member

First PCS move. HELP!!!

Advertisements
    DH and I are moving to Hawaii and I have never moved with the military. What can I do to make it go smoothly. When do I start to plan? We are going home to WI in April and then from there to Hawaii the 1st of May. So that means we have about 4 months. What kind of paperwork do I have to do? Any tips will help.
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    You need to begin the quarantine process for any pets you are planning to take with you.

Also, if you're planning on shipping a second vehicle you should look into civilian companies as well.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Good luck, i always stress no matter what..

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    one thing i learned that no one told me was that just cause you get there doesn't mean your stuff will be there....so you need to find a way to get the essentials and stuff there that you will ned right away...clothes, dishes, microwave,something to sleep on, stuff to do (t.v...computer...books whatever) that kinda stuff....cause we didn't get our things til about 3 weeks after we arrived in IL and you guys are going across water so it'll prolly take longer...

Everyday you spend worrying about tomorrow...you miss living for today...
  5. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by cloren1317 View Post
    one thing i learned that no one told me was that just cause you get there doesn't mean your stuff will be there....so you need to find a way to get the essentials and stuff there that you will ned right away...clothes, dishes, microwave,something to sleep on, stuff to do (t.v...computer...books whatever) that kinda stuff....cause we didn't get our things til about 3 weeks after we arrived in IL and you guys are going across water so it'll prolly take longer...

Put all your essentials in your express shipment. If you already know someone on island, send a box or 2 to them.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    You need to begin the quarantine process for any pets you are planning to take with you.

Wow! Quarantine really?? What for??
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by myfirstbaby View Post
    Wow! Quarantine really?? What for??
    That's what I found:

Hawaii Pet Quarantine Information
    Hawaii is a rabies-free state. To prevent rabies from entering the state, the law requires that dogs, cats and carnivores complete a mandatory rabies quarantine. US Airways will not accept cabin pets for travel to/from Hawaii. US Airways will only permit service animals and emotional support animals in the cabin for travel to/from Hawaii. The Honolulu International Airport on the island of Oahu is the only port of entry for dogs and cats entering Hawaii. This includes service animals and emotional support animals.

For information on requirements for allowing service animals and emotional support animals to enter Hawaii without quarantine, please contact the Hawaii Department of Agriculture at the contact information below, or visit their website at: http://www.hawaiiag.org/hdoa/ai_aqs_info.htm.
  8. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    Yup.. if you start now on the quarantine your pups or kitties might not have to stay so long here... the facility is outdoors so if they are used to cooler temps it might be harder on them. Make sure to have healt certs for your animals within 10 days of traveling for the plane.

Smartwebmove.com is the website I used once orders were given and that executed everything. You will be contacted with a date for packout and pickup. If they can do it in one day they will have it done. If you can spend enough time in Washington before you get here that might help. It took 32 days for our things to arrive here from Dallas. It took exactly a month for my car to get here... I shipped June 30 and picked it up July 31.

Make sure you have accomodations reserved for when you arrive here. Navy Lodge, Hale Koa, Arizona Hall (BEQ on base) and start talking to Housing so you can get your application information and be able to get your name on the list AS SOON as you check in. Have your DH call his next command to get house hunting leave scheduled once you arrive as well.. or at least notify them of the need to do so.

Schedule a car rental if necessary so you can get around. Start getting maps of the areas you are going to be in to learn the major highways and such.

I would make an inventory of the things in your house... whether it be a list or a photo inventory. That way you have current conditions of all your belongings before they are packed. Anything expensive make sure is covered by insurance... talk to them about the possibility of a traveling insurance in case the moving company will not honor the full price of the item. They like to give only current value of things.. not replacement value.

Figure out the housing and what you would like. Just so you are more informed when you get here. It speeds the process up so much when you know what you need and can tell them instead of asking them to show you. They can drag it out!!

ok.. i'm sure there are other things, but that's all I can think of now with what I've learned from our last move.

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
  9. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

If you have an airman and family rediness centre on base, go and visit them. Sometimes they have workshops on how to psc smoothly and they will have some information. Also ask them about what they have for kids (if you have any) to help them as well. Sometimes they may have programs for them too, or free child care which is helpful during packing