Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guam & Hawaii

1. Senior Member

Guam & Hawaii

Advertisements
    Can anyone tell me about living in either/both of these places?

I'm really wanting to know about schools (elementary & middle school)...would Guam have DOD schools?

Housing...the good & bad...old or new

Civilians...do you mix well with others around you or is the military presence so big you don't notice the civilians or the opposite

I know HI is expensive is Guam the same way?
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    I'm not familiar with Guam, but all I can say is after living in Hawaii for 3.5 years, I couldn't imagine living on a SMALLER island.
  3. Senior Member
    I LOVE Hawaii, you here bad things about the locals, but I've never had any bad experiences, well except for the baggers at the commissary lol.

Its small... but you kind of get over it, theres a TON of stuff to do and places to explore.

Guam.. I only know a bit, and DH was just in port there.. I don't think its quite as expensive as Hawaii. But its WAY hotter, there are a ton of snakes and creepy crawlies, lol. Hawaii has bugs, but I've heard Guam is alot worse. Oh and Guam is only like 35 square miles (something ridiculously small like that), so its seriously tiny.

When I was talking to DH while he was in port, he just said "Honey, I am sooo glad we did not chose Guam!"
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I personally loved Guam. There were no snakes on base as they do an awesome job at keeping the snake population down. I didn't see any 'huge creepy crawlies'. Not saying they don't exist, I just didn't see anything out of the norm while we were there.

It's 212 square miles big, has a great NEX and I liked the commisary. Only problem which you'll have on any small island dependent on things from the outside is that sometimes they run out of things and you'll have to wait for the next shipment.

I loved the beaches, the humidity didn't seem too bad to me, lots of outdoor things to do (snorkeling, swimming, para sailing, hiking etc)

http://www.guam.navy.mil/placeinworld.htm
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    As far as housing goes in Guam, I really liked our house. We had a 2bedroom, 2 bath and all houses were painted while we were there in 2005. It is easy to get into housing since the base was build for more ships/subs than there are at the moment. So there is actually an area in housing for the single guys. They share a normal house and don't have to live in barracks.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  6. Senior Member
    Hawaii is gorgeous! Most of the housing is newer, they're constantly renovating and building it seems. However, if you're a nursing student I wouldn't recommend moving here. They fill all the slots with resident first because of the shortage. It's hard to get into school, my daughter and I are moving back home so I can finish.

Other than that, it's great. All the locals I've met are nice, and the beaches are fantastic!
  7. X
    X
    Hawaii = Awesomeness

That is all you need to know
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think the people in Hawaii (locals) are very friendly. I have so many good memories of being there
  9. Senior Member
    thank you ladies for your thoughts so far. Can anyone offer advice on schools, again mainly elementary & middle school level. My kids are in 1st & 4th right now and if we go to HI we would be there for 4-5 years.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Genna View Post
    I LOVE Hawaii, you here bad things about the locals, but I've never had any bad experiences, well except for the baggers at the commissary lol.

Its small... but you kind of get over it, theres a TON of stuff to do and places to explore.

Guam.. I only know a bit, and DH was just in port there.. I don't think its quite as expensive as Hawaii. But its WAY hotter, there are a ton of snakes and creepy crawlies, lol. Hawaii has bugs, but I've heard Guam is alot worse. Oh and Guam is only like 35 square miles (something ridiculously small like that), so its seriously tiny.

When I was talking to DH while he was in port, he just said "Honey, I am sooo glad we did not chose Guam!"
    we've never been stationed there. but I've heard it's the "island of snakes" to I gotta agree about the creepy crawlers too. Beware! you were warned

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast