Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living in the States VS. overseas

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Living in the States VS. overseas

Advertisements
    What are the big differences between living in the US and overseas? Hubby and I are considering being stationed overseas for his first duty station, but I've hardly even been out of my state let alone out of the country. I have no idea what would be involved other than getting a passport. I assume the Navy would have someone that I could contact with daily questions.

Any info would be great!
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    you know, i'm wondering the same thing. any move is going to be an adventure for me... but overseas living sounds appealing and it would be really interesting what others have experienced.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I loved living in Japan, it was a great learning experience for me. We traveled a lot and went to see the local sites, and the beaches, much more than we do now at a stateside base.

4. Senior Member

The first thing is the culture shock. I was aware it would happen and I thought I was prepared for it but it hit me harder than I thought. I kind of went through a mourning period for about a month or two and then I got over it. It was more of missing all our silly little American ways like no Target or digital cable with DVR. But now the longer I live here the more I love it. People told me that when we first got here and I was like yeah right but it's true. We will have been here 1 year in Jan and have one more year for sure. Dh put in the request to extend another year so we would be here till Jan 2010. We'll see in about 6 weeks if it's approved.

It's also really interesting to truly see how America is viewed around the world. It's eye opening but for the most part the Koreans have been very friendly and eager to practice their english on us and they come up and just want to touch my boys' hair because it's considered good luck. However, there are those few who hate our guts. We were shopping in Dongdaemun market and I was knocked into on purpose by two different people. One of them I was recording video with my small camera. It irritated me but what can I do? So far that is the only time it happened.

The one thing that is dangerous here... SHOPPING! OMG if I didn't have self control we would be so broke because I want to buy all kinds of stuff. It's so much cheaper to buy stuff here. My friend bought a really cute rectangular stool for $30 and they sell for $80 or more in the states. We also seen a necklace in an Anthrapology catalogue for $300 and guess how much you can get the same necklace for here... $5.00. Amazing. I should buy that shit and sell it for major profit on eBay.

Another great thing is the travel opportunities. Flying to Beijing takes an hour and half, Tokyo is about the same. MWR has some good deals for trips. We went to Jeju-do (or Cheju-do) which is a tropical island (the Korean Hawaii) off the south coast of Korea and for 4 days, 3 nights, ocean view room, tours and breakfast included for a family of 4 cost us $500. Talk about a deal!! The reason why it was sooooo cheap was because we flew in a Korean Air Force C-130. I am an aviation nut so I think I got a bigger thrill out of it than my kids. It was so cool!! Jeju was so beautiful even though Typhoon Nari had hit it full force 2 days before. I was amazed the trip wasn't cancled but I was so happy we got to go. If anyone ever comes for a tour of Korea and you can only visit one place, Jeju is the place to do it. I loved it.

Well, I will end now, I am practically writing a tour book here, LOL! I hope that helps.
  5. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    I really agree with the first part Navgirl posted.
  6. MIA for awhile...
    MIA for awhile...
    Depends where overseas.

To me- everything is different to Australia. I prefer Aust over any country I've been to, but the UK comes up pretty close, and then the US.

Germany was quiet, it had small towns and large distances in between- as a beach/city bum- I found it really hard to be happy there.

Texas is different to Australia because it's inland. And the beaches it does have- does not compair to the ones I'm used to. Plus i gotta travel for hours to get there.

It really depends.
    Blame your man, not Myspace!!
    Simmy 2009. All rights reserved, copy it and you die.
    Bite me! PLEASE! I want to be a vampire

7. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    Everything! My life in Italy is nothing like my home in FL. I wasn't prepared at all for the move, and I don't really think you can be. That being said, I'm glad to get the experience.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to go to Australia. I think our families would hate it, but we've always talked to about going there.

I love the accents they have and I think it's beautiful.
  9. Mommy to a Princess
    Mommy to a Princess
    I LOVED living overseas, I hate that we are back in the states!!! We are trying to get orders to England next year!!!
  10. The Cat Whisperer
    The Cat Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    Everything! My life in Italy is nothing like my home in FL. I wasn't prepared at all for the move, and I don't really think you can be. That being said, I'm glad to get the experience.
    I totally agree.

It hasn't been the best three years of my life, but the experience is one thing I'll never, ever forget.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast