Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Mixed emotions

1. Senior Member

Confused Mixed emotions - Overseas PCS Orders Ammended!!

Advertisements
    Good News - My DH's orders to England got AMMENDED for me to go with him!!!!!!! I'm so excited - they ammended them the same day he went in!!! He's already over there, and I'm still in the US waiting for my visa/passport.

Questionable News - We were supposed to be there for a 3 year tour, but b/c of ammended orders, they've changed it to a 4 year tour. I'm upset... I really wanted to be back in the US by the end of his 3 year tour because:

- DH and I did a JOP wedding on September of '07 (due to his orders), we wanted to have a formal ceremony in a couple years. I planned on doing it in 2011 (on the same date we had our JOP, b/c it falls on a Saturday!) and I would have had 9 months to plan it from the US. Now, I have NO time to plan it in the US... no time for bridal showers, no time to go shopping for a dress with my mom, to find a venue, hire a band, etc. I'm just so sad right now, yet happy to finally be with my DH. I know we can have it earlier, but how do I plan it from far away? I had this picture perfect ceremony and I feel now it's gone to shit I don't want to wait until 2012 to have the ceremony, I want to have it in the next 3 years.

-I want to be closer to my family (living in the UK is going to cost ~1000 every time I want to fly home). My sisters are both probably getting married in the next 2 years and my Dad's health is not good at all.

I know I'm sounding selfish, and I could count my blessings that I'm not stuck in some god forsaken place for the next 4 years, I'm just having a really hard time dealing with this news - I'm so happy and so very sad. Any advice or encouragement? TIA
  2. Senior Member
    Thats what happened when my DH ammended his orders too but they only upped his stay from 2 years to 3 (which we already knew was going to happen).
    So first off congrats on being one step closer to getting there.

But I understand your concern. Orginally I wasn't even going to go with my DH so that he could be back in the states sooner.
    I think though (atleast this is true for germany) you can fly home on military flights for basically no charge. So atleast maybe thats something

I just want you to know that you aren't alone in your feelings, when we decided for me to move there I was happy of course but also worried/concerned about being so far from home.
    *Nobody said it would be easy..they only said it would be worth it*

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen629 View Post
    Thats what happened when my DH ammended his orders too but they only upped his stay from 2 years to 3 (which we already knew was going to happen).
    So first off congrats on being one step closer to getting there.

But I understand your concern. Orginally I wasn't even going to go with my DH so that he could be back in the states sooner.
    I think though (atleast this is true for germany) you can fly home on military flights for basically no charge. So atleast maybe thats something

I just want you to know that you aren't alone in your feelings, when we decided for me to move there I was happy of course but also worried/concerned about being so far from home.
    Thanks Jen!! It's crazy to think we'll be there for so long! I feel bad for being sad, but it's a big move. Flights are cheap in the US, but really expensive overseas. DH told me that there are few/no military flights from RAF Lakenheath b/c they don't have many cargo planes... I have no idea, and he probably doesn't either since he's only been there for 2 weeks. Anyways, thanks... it's nice to know I'm not alone with these mixed emotions.
  4. ~April~
    I just wanted to say congrats on the ammended orders.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~April~ View Post
    I just wanted to say congrats on the ammended orders.
    Thanks so much April!!!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    congrats on being able to go overseas. We've talked about that being an option once Dh gets out of dive school, but just don' tknow yet.