Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Germany???

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Question Germany???

Advertisements
    This is where DH and i both want to go next. he wants to go to stay with his precious tanks, and i want to go because i've ALWAYS wanted to live in italy for awhile (was going to study abroad there before i met dh) and i figure germany is about as close as i'm going to get, and we thought it'd be kind of neat to travel around and stuff. i can't believe i just used the word neat, btw...

plus, this is the only place we can both agree on. he hates the midwest (which i love), i hate the west coast (which he loves), and we both hate the east coast. i told him we're going to have to live in europe when he retires because it's the ONLY place we can agree on

but i digress. pros, cons of getting stationedd at germany? i'm not sure specifically *where*, i'd have to ask dh and he's sleeping right now.
    advice?
  2. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    Germany is pretty much a guaranteed deployment status, from what I hear......
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    we've heard that too. dh is *eager* to go back to iraq. me, not so much, but it is his career and i can understand why he does even if i don't want him to go. also, we discussed how if he deploys my friend and i are going to go backpacking through europe, and germany is a decent starting-out point.

although, we heard the same thing about fort lewis - that they deploy ALL the time, it was practically gaurunteed that when we got here he'd be gone. we got here, and at first they were schedule for early 09, then changed to late 09, now it's not even supposed to happen (not that i'm relying on this information just what's happened so far). so you never know!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    anybody? there has got to be some girls on here who've been stationed in germany...pleeeeaaaase?
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i wish i could help!... I would also love to learn a little more about Germany, it might be on our list if i hear good things!
  6. MIA for awhile...
    MIA for awhile...
    Um yeah- rapid deployments.

If your hubby gets stationed there- he WILL be deploying.

And he will every other year until the war is over.

The first time they went was in 03. My husband went in 03, 05 (we moved) but they were gearing up for another one this year. That has been bumped until March 08.

So it's been full on. And that's just the division in Baumholder.

Also the cons are- small towns. Every base in Germany is in a tiny town besides ONE! That's the one in Wiesbaden, and it's right near Frankfurt.

So when I say small towns- I mean the population of about 5 thousand. And in the middle of nowhere.

It can be extremely isolating. The only jobs available to spouses are on base. The PX, commissary, etc.

So between deployments, and small towns- with little to do- it's definately not my first choice.

Germany is beautiful, but you have to get used to the western european weather. It rains an awful lot. But in the Summer it's extremely pretty and the days are long.

Also- it's the gateway to Europe. You can go just about anywhere in just a few hours. From where we were stationed, we were about 45 mins from the border of France. 5 hours from Paris.

So you get to travel. That was the best part. Also the community spirit is quite good. But the housing isn't. Lol.

There is alot to think about. Another one is- the money. COLA is lovely.
    Blame your man, not Myspace!!
    Simmy 2009. All rights reserved, copy it and you die.
    Bite me! PLEASE! I want to be a vampire

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I personally have never been there but my DB is there now and he hates it. He hates being so far from friends, family, and the US in general. Its really cold and rainy all the time there. He hasnt deployed yet (fingers crossed) but he's only been there 5 months and all of his best friends are starting to deploy. He does like that its so easy to travel, but Europe is really expensive. I guess he says its beautiful too.
  8. Gunslinger's Gal
    I lived there for 4 years a loooonnnnggggg time ago. We were stationed at Ramstein AFB, but most of my neighbors were Army, stationed at posts nearby. I had a wonderful time! I loved the small quiet little towns and went Volksmarching almost every weekend with my dog. It was great fun to go and see all of the old castles and their gardens.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    thanks for the input! i like having an idea of what we might be getting into.
    as far as the deployments - like i said, dh WANTS to go. i think i'll just have to deal with it - @ his second and third choices he would most likely be deploying right away as well, it's pretty much unavoidable. he's combat arms so he's pretty obsessed with it

Quote Originally Posted by SIMMYBABEZ View Post
    Um yeah- rapid deployments.

If your hubby gets stationed there- he WILL be deploying.

And he will every other year until the war is over.

The first time they went was in 03. My husband went in 03, 05 (we moved) but they were gearing up for another one this year. That has been bumped until March 08.

So it's been full on. And that's just the division in Baumholder.

Also the cons are- small towns. Every base in Germany is in a tiny town besides ONE! That's the one in Wiesbaden, and it's right near Frankfurt.

So when I say small towns- I mean the population of about 5 thousand. And in the middle of nowhere.

It can be extremely isolating. The only jobs available to spouses are on base. The PX, commissary, etc.

So between deployments, and small towns- with little to do- it's definately not my first choice.

Germany is beautiful, but you have to get used to the western european weather. It rains an awful lot. But in the Summer it's extremely pretty and the days are long.

Also- it's the gateway to Europe. You can go just about anywhere in just a few hours. From where we were stationed, we were about 45 mins from the border of France. 5 hours from Paris.

So you get to travel. That was the best part. Also the community spirit is quite good. But the housing isn't. Lol.

There is alot to think about. Another one is- the money. COLA is lovely.
    i'm assuming that was sarcasm, there at the end? COLA here isn't too hot either. but, i'll take the cons with the pros. small towns don't bother me, as i grew up in the middle of nowhere, kansas. really. it had one diner and one gas station (that both closed at 5). they just got the internet in..2003 i think? it was a big deal so, really, as long as there is a way for me to travel around (trains, i'm assuming?) i'll be ok. i suppose by then i'd be used to the rain, as it FREAKING NEVER STOPS raining here in WA.

the travel i think is the part we are both looking forward to. i have always always wanted to travel around europe. i suppose the opportunity to do so will be worth crappy housing. i don't work now anyways, so i'm not too concerned about that.

Thanks for your input, it really helped!!! glad to see you back, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by shannon86 View Post
    I personally have never been there but my DB is there now and he hates it. He hates being so far from friends, family, and the US in general. Its really cold and rainy all the time there. He hasnt deployed yet (fingers crossed) but he's only been there 5 months and all of his best friends are starting to deploy. He does like that its so easy to travel, but Europe is really expensive. I guess he says its beautiful too.
    thanks for the input. i think being so far away from his family will be his biggest problem with it, but my family has already said they are going to come visit a lot if we get stationed there. i'll probably end up seeing them more than i do here! who woulda thought. i've heard about it being expensive from a few other people too - my friend who's studying abroad right now, for one. so i guess we'll just have to save up. but that's ok, i've been broke for the past few years, i can handle it for a few more

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger's Gal View Post
    I lived there for 4 years a loooonnnnggggg time ago. We were stationed at Ramstein AFB, but most of my neighbors were Army, stationed at posts nearby. I had a wonderful time! I loved the small quiet little towns and went Volksmarching almost every weekend with my dog. It was great fun to go and see all of the old castles and their gardens.
    i love historic places like that. when i went to spain my favorite part was all the old architecture. i also very much miss small town life (now three years ago i would be scrambling to move to a big city, but i think i've changed my mind since then. i just didn't know what i had when i had it!). was it hard to bring your dog with you? we're getting one and i don't want to have to leave it behind.

thanks for the responses! now we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed that we actually get to go where we want
    Last edited by s. rosa; 12-13-2007 at 02:41 PM. Reason: typo
  10. Senior Member
    Germany is a beautiful country. I was born and raised in Heidelberg which has an Army post as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast