Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros and Cons... NEED YOUR HELP!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Pros and Cons... NEED YOUR HELP!

Advertisements
    What are the pros and cons of the below Navy sites to move to??

San Diego, CA
    Mayport, FL
    Norfolk, VA

Any info/advice/opinions about the three above would be GREATLY appreciated! These are boyfriend's top three choices for first duty station. We are trying to weight the options of all. Sidenote: we'd be moving from Wilmington, DE
  2. Senior Member
    we are trying for San Diego if that means anything
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    we are in norfolk, i like it the area is very busy, you don't have to worry about it bursting into flames yearly, but you have hurricanes to deal with though so that is a double edged sword. we are east coasters we did not do well on the west coast when we were out there. but my DH has been to san deigo and he said that if came down to him moving to san deigo or getting out regardless of time in he would get out based soley on that alone. he hates it there. but we never lived there. norfolk is busy but they have some stupid laws in this state. good luck with your choice.
  4. Senior Member
    I know one of the main reasons we decided against San Diego is the cost of living. Plus, dh was stationed at Camp Pendleton when he was in the Marines and did not really care for the area. If you want something totally different than where you are now and don't mind paying more for housing I would say go for it. However, it seems like you are both pretty close to your families and they are all on the East coast, right? If so, I would say staying close to family is a huge "pro"!
  5. Banned
    Banned
    I have lived ( near) mayport for along time-

if Dh would have been stationed there we would have been extatic-- but he got cecil field.

we loved living in that area-
    We love living near JAX, but we decided to by here in GA for cost of living mostly.

the one thing negative- is the high crime rate and the schools- they are not the best.

there are decent schools but if given the choice I would live where the schools are good.

there is so muc to do here- and everything is close- disney 2 hours- savananh 3 hours and tons of stuff in between- at costs we can afford..
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i think that one of the perks of norfolk is that the area is so vast. there are some great schools outside of norfolk its self. kempsville is suppose to be on the best in the country. VA Beach has some awesome schools i love my boys school.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I detested Jacksonville, that said, Mayport is on the North side of the city and you could easily live in Georgia at a much lower cost and still easily get to Mayport NS. There is a lot to do within a few hours of Jax. There are plenty of jobs, but most are fairly low paying for the most part, compared to the Cost of Living.
    Don't know much about Norfolk, except hubby did his darndest to not get orders there because he did not like it. Bad, bad traffic...
    San Diego is my number one pick out of the three you listed. Beautiful weather most of the time, beautiful city. Cost of living is pretty high. But there is a lot to do within a few hours.
    One thing to think about is the navy likes to keep you on one coast if they can for your career, so I always tell people to be prepared for that, just in case.....
  8. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Well I'm from San Diego and we're currently stationed in the Norfolk, VA area. Not too sure about Mayport, FL. We'll be in FL come 2010 though...LOL!!!!!

Where are your families located and are you close to them? Have to visited the West Coast before?!
  9. Senior Member
    We've only been stationed in San Diego out of the 3 places you mentioned. Some things to consider is the traffic and the high cost of living. The traffic was awful, IMO, and we NEVER want to go back. The best part about it was our families live only 4 hours away.
    The best part is there is a lot to do. You can go to the mountains, beaches, desert, and there's quite a few amusement parks within a few hours away.
    We've had the problem w/ the Navy wanting to keep us on one coast. After San Diego, we were stationed in Korea, then Japan. I would have looooved to have gone to a country in Europe. Now we're in the midwest stationed at an Air Force base. We saw it as a miracle that we got orders here. We are trying to do what we can to stay and very afraid of going to the places you mentioned. DH came into his window this month so we'll see.
    Good luck!!!
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'm in Mayport, have been here for over 3yrs. It sucks you deffinatly dont want it!
    Its ghetto, the crime rate is high, its dirty and there is nothing to do!
    Housing is small and dirty, the base is even smaller, civi housing is almost more than what you make on BAH.

Its seriously so ghetto that a church and strip club share a parking lot, and they are both right next door to an elementary school. Its that bad!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast