Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What do I need to know?

1. Senior Member

Help What do I need to know?

Advertisements
    We will be moving (for the first time!) next year. DH is still in training so we have some time. Meanwhile I'm trying to find what benefits we are entitled to and what we need to do to get started!! So, any tips and advice you can give me is GREATLY appreciated. I'm sure I can use all the help I can get on our first PCS!!!
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Have your DH make POA's for you, whether it be for DEERS, PSD, Housing, etc. Make sure you have them drafted up, even if you don't see the need for them now!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Have your DH make POA's for you, whether it be for DEERS, PSD, Housing, etc. Make sure you have them drafted up, even if you don't see the need for them now!
    Great idea!! Thanks.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    POAs are only good for a year so don't do it too early, also make sure you get every type they can give you, some places require you to have a special for housing and to pack up and some don't. try to educate yourself about the area your going to. education is key, find out those laws about taxes and car registration, your license, some states require the family members to change some don't. you should get DLA and travel pay. once you have written orders you can figure out if you want to move yourself or have the military move you. good luck and also make a plan. map out your route and make sure your on a path that has a lot of hotels on it, we always try to make it into a road trip see as many sights as we can on the way, we have a rule though no more than 50 miles out of the way, sometimes we plan it right and end up staying the night in those places like mt.rushmore that was pretty cool. anyway i would also suggest getting Triple A they will map everything out for you and if anything happens they will help with roadside assistance, make sure your insurance on your car is up to standard as well and learn the laws of the road for each state your going to. like in NY you can't use chains on your tires, if your in WA you don't dream of going over a mountain with chaining up. have a safe move.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    http://perdiem.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/
    You can research on here for DLA, travel allowances, etc. You will not be able to access the official table of distance to get mileage, but if you do a yahoo or MSN maps query for a direct route between duty stations, that will give you a pretty good idea of the milage allowed. Divide by 350 and that will be the number of days allowed for travel.