Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apartment Lease - military clause

1. Senior Member

Bang Head Apartment Lease - military clause

Advertisements
    Ok, so DH just moved to England... I'm waiting for his orders to get ammended. I'm currently on a month to month lease for my apartment and living with a roommate. They JUST sprung it on us that rent is going up. We can choose to stay on a month to month lease (which will be a TON more money), or switch to a year lease (more money, but not as much as the month to month), but this has to be decided by December 31st. My roommate and I are having a very big argument about this. I want to get a month to month lease b/c I'm leaving to the UK right when DH's orders get ammended. My roomie refuses to sign a month to month lease b/c "it's too much money" - seriously, wtf... she's a frickin doctor for crying out loud adn probably makes like 20-30K more than I do!!! AH! I'm so stressed out and want to tear her head off her body right now!!!

Anyways, our lease does have a military clause - have to give 30 days notice and a copy of the orders. But the clause states, if I'm a member of the military, etc. What if I'm a military spouse? Does that count for me being able to use the military clause in the lease? I just really need to get this settled... I'm going to stop by the management office tomorrow morning, but was wondering if anyone has taken advantage of the military clause on your own as a spouse (not taking advantage of it with you and your husband living together and trying to get out of a lease). Hope this makes sense and I would really appreciate any insight you all have! TIA!
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    well if your married than i'm sure it covers you too, they can't expect the family to stay! I'd just get out of there as fast as you can. Sounds like your getting ripped off
  3. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    I don't think it is for the spouse. Unless he is on the lease. I would simply tell your friend that you won't sign a year long lease, however you may need to find a new place to live. How long do you think you would be there before his orders get amended? also could you still live there if you weren't on the lease?

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

4. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    It should cover you as long as his orders say that it is an accompanied tour, just add his name to the lease and you will be covered for sure.
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  5. Known Once Upon a Time as ILoveMySPC!!!
    Known Once Upon a Time as ILoveMySPC!!!
    If it doesn't cover you, just have your roomie sign the lease and you sign as an occupant.
    May today there be peace within. May you trust your highest power that you are exactly where you are meant to be..
    May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you....allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance and to bask in the sun. It is there for each and everyone of you.-- St. Teresa

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    I don't think it is for the spouse. Unless he is on the lease. I would simply tell your friend that you won't sign a year long lease, however you may need to find a new place to live. How long do you think you would be there before his orders get amended? also could you still live there if you weren't on the lease?
    Well my medical clearance has been passed through, so I just have to wait for Lakenheath to sign off on ammeding his orders. My guess it should all be taken care of by the end of January, but once again, that's just my guess. I won't be able to live here if I'm not on the lease. I'm seriously in a real bind here and my roommate will NOT budge on the lease!!! I'm so frustrated and getting really upset about all of this...
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ILoveMySPC View Post
    If it doesn't cover you, just have your roomie sign the lease and you sign as an occupant.
    Our apartment complex will not let us do that
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    It should cover you as long as his orders say that it is an accompanied tour, just add his name to the lease and you will be covered for sure.
    Can't add his name to the lease... he's not here to sign it
  9. Dreams come true... I am living mine
    Dreams come true... I am living mine
    If you have a POA you can, or get him to send you a special POA
    DREAMS CAN COME TRUE
  10. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    I highly recommend you check with your state to see what their laws are. Second talk to the management company or landlord to see if you can use the clause ( sometimes they stipulate that it only lets the military member out of the lease and not the family too.)

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast