Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting a job while being a "military wife"

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Getting a job while being a "military wife"

Advertisements
    So the other day my mom started on me about getting a job when I graduate. And we started talking about Kyle, my boyfriend, being in the Navy. She thinks I need to live at home for 2 or so years while he does his thing in the Navy to "establish myself" and stay at one job. She doesn't think it's a good idea to get a job... stay 2-6 (or maybe more) months and then move to where Kyle gets stationed. She thinks that once I start looking for a second job, no one will hire me because "People don't want to hire military wives because they will be moving so much. Employers don't want to hire someone they know isn't going to stay very long."

And this got me really upset because I don't want to live apart from the love of my life any longer!!!! And it also upsets me that she's my mother and all she ever does is tell me how poor my decisions are in life and how they will never work out for the better.

So my question to all you is:
    Do you find it easy, hard or no different to get a job as a "military significant other"? Due to moving... or the chance that you could move because of the military.

Any advice and insight would be GREATLY appreciated!
  2. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    I have found it relatively easy to find a job, but difficult to jump start a career - if that makes sense.

I think it is difficult to continuously obtain jobs that are in line with the potential contributions I could make to the workplace, and I often find myself taking a sideways step in my work life instead of the next step up. And with the frequency of job changes, it can be hard to focus on one field.

On the flip side, I've gotten such a wide variety of experience from having so many temp jobs, that I have a very well rounded resume. And some employers like that more than they dislike how often I've changed jobs.

So there are good sides and bad sides to it, and you've just got to figure out a way to make it work for you. It won't always be easy, but it can be done. I try to remember that developing my relationship is a higher priority to me than developing my career. Dh has often told me he would understand if I wanted to move back home for a few years to really make some money and some headway into a career, but I prefer to prioritize my marriage.

HTH even though it's very vague!
    Last edited by Kristen; 11-24-2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: typo
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I want to make a career in Physical Therapy (and always get a job as a Physical Therapist wherever we move). But I want to also make a commitment to make my relationship with my boyfriend continue to grow and get stronger. I want to start a life and family with him. I want to have BOTH a career and marriage! Is there a way to do that???
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    my job is very cool about it. honestly you don't have to tell them your a military girlfriend. if they ask what makes you come to ____ just say I'm moving here to start a new career. Its a great way to gain experience too. Life is short do what makes you happy
  5. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    I think it will be easier with a field like that - the medical fields are always hiring, and the qualified candidate pool isn't that large, so I think you've made a great choice for a portable career.

It is possible to have it all! It might not always be perfect, but you can make it work.
  6. Senior Member
    I've had to explain to a few companies that the reason I've had so many jobs is because I'm a military wife, but most of the time they take it as a good thing. I'm really friendly with my boss now and she told me that they prefer to hire military spouses because they are generally more adjustable and can do a larger variety of jobs. It does really suck having to get a new job every so often, but it does give you alot more experience in a few different fields, and I've always been told that it's a good thing. But to devlop one steady career-especially something with a clientele-is going to be difficult as a military spouse. You can do it, but I've heard it's harder. No matter what you do though, you have to do what's the best for you and your relationship. In the end that's all that should matter.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I think the time frame is what the problem right now is. You don't know how long it is going to be. Face it, I wouldn't hire someone that is gonna quit after just a couple of months.

Now, that said, most of the time in the military you are there for about 3 to 4 years. Half the people don't stay at a job for more then that,
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjones0520 View Post
    But to devlop one steady career-especially something with a clientele-is going to be difficult as a military spouse. You can do it, but I've heard it's harder.
    That is why I don't want to do hair anymore. Even though it's easy to get a job each time, it's frustrating to start all over with building the clientele.

To the OP, I think with your line of work, if you can affiliate yourself with a hospital, nursing home, or similar each time, it could definitely work out so you could do that job every time.
    Last edited by Kristen; 11-24-2007 at 07:46 PM. Reason: I can not type tonight!
  9. Regular Member
    Hi there! I can understand where you are coming from. My DB will be moving to SC for a year-ish as early as June 2008. I just graduated from school in May and started my first job in MD about 4 months ago. If I move with him to SC (which I want to) I will have only been at my current job a year which isn't so bad. However, most likely I would only be in SC for a year as well... and who wants to hire/train someone who is only staying a year . Also, I work with the pediatric population and jobs are hard to come by as is. I feel like if I move, my chances of being hired are seriously decreased and I can forget about working with the population I love and am knowledgable about.

My mother wanted me to move home and save/establish myself after graduation. I didn't listen to her...haha... I moved to Baltimore, near my bf, who is at USNA. My opinion is do what makes you happy... plus two years is a long time to be apart. What are you getting your degree in?
  10. Senior Member
    Is your DB hoping to stay in the military for a long time, or only to complete his required active duty time? If he's going to be in for a long time, you might want to look into getting involved with medical services on base as a contractor. The bases are likely going to be more understanding about the frequent moves.

If he's only staying in for a few years, and you think you're going to be committed to him long-term, you two should have a conversation about where you ultimately want to end up. You could go ahead and establish yourself there and make a long-distance relationship work for the next few years. My DH and I had to do that - we were long-distance for two years while I was in law school, then he was stationed closer to me, so he made a long commute to the base during my last year of school, and my first year out of school. Now we're established in the place we want to be, and I was able to get a job in the area because I have a history here.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast