Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving across country?

1. Senior Member

Moving across country?

Advertisements
    So after DF gets back from the sandbox and we get married, I'm moving to Cali!

BUT...I have no idea how to get all my stuff out there...I don't really have furniture or anything, just...stuff. I'll be flying out a few times, so I can bring some in suitcases, but are there any cheap shipping methods for all my stuff?

Any suggestions? We don't want to drive or rent a truck or anything...

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" ~ Psalm 27:1
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaStrong View Post
    at first I was like , then I was like when I saw how messed up the page it looked so then I was like *click*, *enter*, *click*, *enter*,
  2. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    When I moved from Puerto Rico to FL I came with a big suitcase and a HUGE box.
    Remember you can send up to two (I think is two) items (they could be suitcases, bags, boxes, etc...) and take a carry on, plus your personal purse.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i don't know how the marines work with this but i don't know if its different from the navy, but if he has orders before you get married your responsible for moving your own stuff out there, you can look into moving companies though, maybe a POD?
  4. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    I *think* if you are going to pay for a moving company your self they might charge like the minimum would be like $500 or something like that.
    What kind of things are you planning on moving?
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
    When I moved from Puerto Rico to FL I came with a big suitcase and a HUGE box.
    Remember you can send up to two (I think is two) items (they could be suitcases, bags, boxes, etc...) and take a carry on, plus your personal purse.
    is that ALL you brought!!??!!

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" ~ Psalm 27:1
    at first I was like , then I was like when I saw how messed up the page it looked so then I was like *click*, *enter*, *click*, *enter*,
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed

I would ship myself a few boxes or have someone ship it to me.
  7. Senior Member
    I'll have the same issue when I move after we're married. I'm really not looking forward to going through and packing my things. I have so much stuff!!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleyd View Post
    I'll have the same issue when I move after we're married. I'm really not looking forward to going through and packing my things. I have so much stuff!!
    i know what you mean...i've been trying to get rid of things, but i'm not very good at doing that...i may be able to store some stuff with DF's mom, but my parents sold their house and now rent, so they don't have room for my stuff!!!

9. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Yep, that's all I brought. I mean the box was probably as tall as my waist.
    Remember you can always sell stuffs that you don't think would be worth paying to ship them.
  10. Senior Member
    i know what you mean...i've been trying to get rid of things, but i'm not very good at doing that...i may be able to store some stuff with DF's mom, but my parents sold their house and now rent, so they don't have room for my stuff!!!
    You sound just like me! I'm horrible at getting rid of stuff. I have a tendency to hold onto things. If you can store some stuff at your DF's mom's, I would definetly do that! Just box up what you won't need right now. I'm sure I'll be leaving a ton of stuff packed up at my parents'!