Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Creek VA & Commute

1. Senior Member

Little Creek VA & Commute

Advertisements
    Is it best to stay in the VA Beach area if stationed at Little Creek? What's the commute if living on the other side (Newport News area)? Seems like no matter where we go we manage to get stuck with a sucky commute
    We've been to VA before but it's been years (like some of you probably weren't even born yet kind of years )
    We do still have friends there which is a good thing.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i actually just moved from an apartment complex right outside the little creek base. i wouldn't reccomend that complex to anyone cause they don't know what they're doing, but there are places really close to the base. there are parts of norfolk close to it, and there are parts of virginia beach close to it. i wouldn't live on the other side of the water cause of the tunnel. i have no idea how long the commute would be, but i can't imagine it would be good.

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i would try to stay in the VA beach area or southern norfolk. we live near oceana and i really like it. minus the jet noise all the time..
  4. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    I am from the area. Right now I live in Newport News by Yorktown and my DH works in Norfolk. IMO no matter where you are tying to go traffic will follow. I would try someplace in Va Beach. If not Chesapeake.
  5. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    my dh commutes from newport news to norfolk nav base. he can make it in about 25 minutes with no traffic. usually in the morning he doesnt have a problem cause he leaves sooo early. but coming home in rush hour can take him up to an hour. i like our home, but sometimes wish we were in norfolk.
  6. Senior Member
    Oh it's the worse place we've ever been for traffic ~ that I know. Which is why we'd like to get as close as possible but I also know the areas have to be watched carefully there.

We have 3 teenagers so we'll need more than an apartment complex lol I think we are going to rent. We were talking about buying but not so sure now.
  7. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbecker View Post
    my dh commutes from newport news to norfolk nav base. he can make it in about 25 minutes with no traffic. usually in the morning he doesnt have a problem cause he leaves sooo early. but coming home in rush hour can take him up to an hour. i like our home, but sometimes wish we were in norfolk.
    Same with us.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    check out Craigslist.
  9. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Shore Drive...??
    Please Remember to follow OPSEC!!!

Life is hard.... Wear a helmet
  10. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

The prices for homes in Va Bch have skyrocketed over the past few years. We moved there in 1996 and sold our home in 2003. I would suggest renting first to get a good "lay of the land". Traffic is horrible!
    Me, personally, I think that the Hampton/Newport News area has such a high rate of crime. Don't get me wrong.....crime is prevalant thru out Hampton Roads but it just seems most of the murders/drive by shootings occur in the Newport News area. (but then again the gang activity in Norfolk is on the rise also).
    Virginia Beach is not the low key resort area it once was.....

That's why we moved OUT of the area completely.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast