Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sell stuff before or after?

1. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries

Sell stuff before or after?

Advertisements
    I'm having trouble deciding what to do with extra stuff. The new house in VA is smaller by far than our last house, and doesn't have a garage, so I really don't have room for extra stuff. I want to sell it now, before we move, but I'm worried that I'll get there and realize that there is a perfect spot for something, and regret that I sold it.

Also, if I wait, I think the VA market for Craigs List is much busier.

But, if I wait, it will be a couple of weeks before Christmas, when people aren't buying for themselves, and are conserving funds for Christmas shopping. And without the space, I'll be screwed with stuff everywhere.

I'd like to have any extra cash from sales as we move, instead of after, since I'm sure lots of little things will come up and we'll be wishing we had more moolah.

Any opinions?

Here's an example. I really, really don't think that my microfiber Ashley couch will fit. And even if it does fit, I don't think I would like how it would totally fill the room. If it doesn't fit, I'll have nowhere to put it up there while I try to get rid of it. But what if I sell it here, get up there and realize it really could have worked, and now I'm out a couch?

I know I am way over thinking this... I really like the idea of downsizing - good for the environment, good for the wallet - BUT IT'S HARD!
  2. IYAOYAS
    IYAOYAS
    I always do it before I move into my new house. Even if it's Xmas people may be looking for stuff to give as giftes. May be worth a try just to see what happens.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Are you at all close on the weight allowance? If so, I would definitely put a check in the "sell before" category. Even if you aren't, I prefer to sell extra stuff off BEFORE the move simply because I see no point in having stuff I don't intend to keep pakced, hauled from A to B and then me having to unpack it only to turn around and get rid of it, kwim? I like to minimize so that the unpacking and settling in is as simplified as possible.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen View Post
    I'm having trouble deciding what to do with extra stuff. The new house in VA is smaller by far than our last house, and doesn't have a garage, so I really don't have room for extra stuff. I want to sell it now, before we move, but I'm worried that I'll get there and realize that there is a perfect spot for something, and regret that I sold it.

Also, if I wait, I think the VA market for Craigs List is much busier.

But, if I wait, it will be a couple of weeks before Christmas, when people aren't buying for themselves, and are conserving funds for Christmas shopping. And without the space, I'll be screwed with stuff everywhere.

I'd like to have any extra cash from sales as we move, instead of after, since I'm sure lots of little things will come up and we'll be wishing we had more moolah.

Any opinions?

Here's an example. I really, really don't think that my microfiber Ashley couch will fit. And even if it does fit, I don't think I would like how it would totally fill the room. If it doesn't fit, I'll have nowhere to put it up there while I try to get rid of it. But what if I sell it here, get up there and realize it really could have worked, and now I'm out a couch?

I know I am way over thinking this... I really like the idea of downsizing - good for the environment, good for the wallet - BUT IT'S HARD!
    catch 22,

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think I would wait....that way u KNOW what u can keep and what u cant and wont have to risk regretting doing anything, kwim?

Furniture NEVER looks like its gonna work, so I would DEFINITELY wait on that...and as for everything else....if its pointless to u, go ahead and sell it.....if its something u would REALLY like to hold on to...wait and see if u can.

6. Banned
    Banned
    I always do it before the move!! much easier than packing stuff I don't want or need!!!

good luck!!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    I always do it before the move!! much easier than packing stuff I don't want or need!!!

good luck!!
    YUP!!

8. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    I'd wait.. unless you know exactly what your house will be like size wise prior to your move.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

9. Senior Member
    It is easier to let go of things before the move. After the move if you do not unpack everything right away it is too easy to say "out of sight, out of mind". Good luck.
    blinkies by Britt
  10. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    I always get rid of things before I move, because what will happen at least for me is that it will stay in a box and just keep moving with us. Because there will never be a need to unpack the box.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast