Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant and PCS

1. mrsjackman

Help Pregnant and PCS

Advertisements
    Please help!! My husband just now got his official orders to Hawaii for next June and his current command is saying that I cannot transfer in my third trimester. Has anyone heard of this or done this? I am freaking out because if this is true, it means that we'll have to bring the baby home to a motel room and live there for six weeks, because our house will have been packed and shipped already. What are we going to do?
  2. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    you can't fly in your third trimester normally. sometimes you can get a dr's note, but, i highly doubt you will find a dr willing to let you fly to Hawaii it's too long a flight.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

3. Navy Wife
    Navy Wife
    This is from a site that I looked at when I was going to be flying in my 3rd trimester. Who Can Fly
    There are some restrictions as to just who should and should not travel the skies when they are pregnant. Generally, women who are having a healthy, normal pregnancy are free to come and go as they please. However, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends women don’t fly after their 36th week of pregnancy.

Airlines have their own flight restrictions for pregnant women, which can vary according to whether you are flying domestically or internationally and which airline you will be flying. Some airlines won’t allow you to travel for 30 days before your due date, while others won’t let you on board if your due date is less than seven days away. Be sure to ask the ticket agent when you book your ticket just what their restrictions are since they probably won’t mention it otherwise. And don’t forget to consider how close your due date will be when you come back.

Women who are having any sort of complications associated with their pregnancy or who are considered to be ‘high risk’ should not travel. This includes women with poorly controlled diabetes, sickle cell disease, placental abnormalities, hypertension or those at risk for premature labor.

Whether you are in your first trimester or third trimester, it is always a good idea to discuss your travel plans with your health care provider before you leave. It may also be a good idea to obtain a doctor’s note saying that it is okay for you to travel, especially if you are in your third trimester. Not every airline requires a doctor’s note to let you on the plane, but sometimes it’s easier to take the extra precaution in order to avoid any possible hassles when you board.
  4. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    that is good info, except if she is flying on a military flight they won't let her on period. also if the command says no,they might not release funds till she is safe to fly if she is flying commercial.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

5. Senior Member
    I would suggest that your husband try to get his report no later than date moved up so that you guys can move and be settled in with a new house and OB before you are due! There are ways to make that happen...just need to talk to your command.

Good luck!

6. mrsjackman
    We can't transfer any earlier because he's in IDNA school March-May. I've been reading online that although Hawaii is considered an overseas billet, it's exempt from suitability screening, but I don't know if that includes pregnancy.
  7. Senior Member
    could you maybe go earlier on your own?

8. *Mrs. Bonney*
    *Mrs. Bonney*
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsjackman View Post
    We can't transfer any earlier because he's in IDNA school March-May. I've been reading online that although Hawaii is considered an overseas billet, it's exempt from suitability screening, but I don't know if that includes pregnancy.
    Then see if he can extend at the duty station he is at now and PCS once the baby is born!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosebud* View Post
    you can't fly in your third trimester normally. sometimes you can get a dr's note, but, i highly doubt you will find a dr willing to let you fly to Hawaii it's too long a flight.
    Not always true about the flying thing. My dr let me fly to Michigan from Italy at 36 weeks. As far as the pcs thing I have no clue.
  10. Kat
    stand barefooted in my own front yard with a baby on my hip
    stand barefooted in my own front yard with a baby on my hip
    I actually moved COMPLETELY across the country in my thrid trimester. I was 30 weeks when we left. I even had gestational diabetes.

The only part that does suck, is that you MAY have to bring the baby home to a "hotel" room anyways beause of housing. That is what had to do. Not a hotel, but my dh's cousins house. So we didnt even get into our own place until she was 2 weeks old

My dh was actually given the option for us to extended for a little bit at his command or go ahead and leave to get to the new command. We choose to leave because I didnt trust the hospital we were at.

It really wasnt to bad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast