Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone settle my nerves

1. Senior Member

Someone settle my nerves

Advertisements
    Has anyone else had it take a long time to get an address from your guy at Basic Training. My boyfriend is at Fort Leonard Wood and he left on Wednesday August 29th. The last that anyone has heard from him was Tuesday December 4th, when he called his aunt to say that he was still at reception. She called me to let me know, but no one has received an address. I've talked to his mom, aunts, grandma, brother, and other friends. He was supposed to send me the address and I"d get it to everyone else, just to save time rather than him having to write to each of us individually. Everything that we were told before he left was that he should get his address when he first moves from reception to training and that he would be given a chance to write out in the first few nights just to get his address out. I understand mail might be slow, but he's been gone for like 2.5 weeks and no one has heard anything from him. I'm starting to get worried. His aunt was going to check is bank account today to see if he had used it for anything and give me a call, but I haven't heard from her yet.

Just wondering if anyone else has had soemthing like this or can settle my nerves that are now going crazy having not heard anything!
  2. Senior Member
    Ok. seeing that this has been viewed 10 times, and not commented on is making me worry more. I guess I'm the only one who's been in this situation. At least i know that now. I was hoping to hear, oh it is just another of the military's favorite things to do. oh well
  3. karina
    i'm sure everything is fine, but im a little confused on your situation but asking about the basic and how long till i get his address.. my DB is in coast guard but he couldnt even write out till the second week and then it took 5 days to get letters after that. and he could only write once a week on sundays.
  4. Senior Member
    no its not weird it took me like 3 weeks to get anything from ex db u shouldnt worry youll get something soon im sure

5. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree
    I didn't get an address until about 2 weeks in. They really honestly did NOT have any time to write anyone at all during their first week after reception. It all depends on the platoon/unit he's in and the Drill Sergeants he has as well. Also, you're right. Mail from basic training is EXTREMELY slow. Sometimes it took me about 1 1/2 weeks past the date he wrote a letter to get one from him -- they sometimes stock pile their mail for a week and then finally mail everything out once they get enough to send. I know it's hard, but just continue to be patient - keep yourself busy and try not to preoccupy yourself with waiting for a letter to come--trust me, that makes it worse!

Keep up with all of our adventures with renovating a 1960s ranch house - check out MY BLOG!

6. Senior Member
    ok. that makes me feel better. I just wish they would have been upfront about that. His grandmother, aunts, and I all sat there and were literally told that he'd be forced to write his address to someone the day that he moved from reception to training and to expect it to come to one of us. Once again, the army does not tell the whole truth to families, GRRR.....

having everyone call me every day to see if i get it doesn't help either. Makes me want it more just so that I have something to tell them when they call rather than nope, sorry, and then continue awkward conversation with nothing to discuss. I'm going to pass along your answers, maybe then they'll understand too.

It is just frustrating to have been outright lied to by his recruiter and the other guy that did his RSP weekends before he left for Basic.
  7. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree
    Quote Originally Posted by Mak327 View Post
    ok. that makes me feel better. I just wish they would have been upfront about that. His grandmother, aunts, and I all sat there and were literally told that he'd be forced to write his address to someone the day that he moved from reception to training and to expect it to come to one of us. Once again, the army does not tell the whole truth to families, GRRR.....

having everyone call me every day to see if i get it doesn't help either. Makes me want it more just so that I have something to tell them when they call rather than nope, sorry, and then continue awkward conversation with nothing to discuss. I'm going to pass along your answers, maybe then they'll understand too.

It is just frustrating to have been outright lied to by his recruiter and the other guy that did his RSP weekends before he left for Basic.
    Unfortunately, recruiters lie a LOT - they say anything to put the family at ease with his/her decision to enlist. I'm sure not all recruiters do this, but a lot of them do. We were lied to about many things by the recruiters, so it's safest to actually look things up for yourself, or ask questions of people who have experience with the situation (here is a good place! )

Keep up with all of our adventures with renovating a 1960s ranch house - check out MY BLOG!

8. Senior Member
    we asked around to some of his friends that are in and some of the people I knew at school that are in the army, but they all pretty much said that the first thing they did was write out with their address. I knew to take his recruiter as pretty much face value and not expect the whole truth from him, but the other guy -- i got there late and never got name,rank,job,etc I thought would be telling us the truth. guess not.

we were all already behind him on the decision. This was like when the recruiter came to pick him up and go to MEPS. That's what made it so much more frustrating.

I know someoen else at school with me whose brother left the day before my boyfriend and she's had his address for almost a week, so i guess it all depends. That is frustrating too, there is never one set in stone answer, it is always "it depends" and that bugs me beyond belief.

Sorry. this is turning in to more of a vent.
  9. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree

Hang in there hun. Getting through those first few weeks of training is really harsh - but it does get easier, I promise After you get your first letter or first phone call, everything is all worth it!

10. Senior Member
    My df is currently at Ft Leonard Wood - has been for over 19 weeks. He had BCT and AIT there. It took probably between 2 - 3 weeks before anyone got an address from him. It depends on how long it takes your so to get from reception to training and then he has to get the address and mail it out. They don't have much time to write (less than an hour per night). And let me tell you...sometimes the sgts don't pick up the mail and distribute it or collect your so mail to send out. Df is graduating this week and it's been several days since he has gotten mail. So it may take a while to get the address. Your so should be able to call for 2 minutes on Saturday or Sundays. More time is given as time goes on. Hope this helps. Pm me if you want.
    Kelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast