Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic Graduation

1. Senior Member

Basic Graduation

Advertisements
    Does anyone have a SO who went through basic, but didn't want people to come to his graduation?

My boyfriend is saying, at this point, that he doesn't want ANYONE to come to his graduation. He leaves the very next day to leave to go from Missouri to South Carolina for his AIT, but I would still think he would want someone there. He asked me to talk his mom and grandmother out of attending his graduation while he told me not to come.

I am hoping that as he gets done with reception and starts training, that he'll change his mind and want us there. I HOPE!

Anyone had anything similar?? It just sounds weird to me. It is a big honor to graduate and I would think he would want someone there.

On a different note, when did graduation fall for most of you, during the week or on a weekend. I'm trying to think of how to go, if he'll let me, with class and work, etc.
  2. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    It could be because he is leaving the next day for AIT and figures since he won't get to spend anytime with you all it would be a waste, but to be honest I have never heard of anyone going to anything the day after graduation.. my dh is navy but still, maybe some of the Army SO's have better info.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

3. Senior Member
    His AIT is scheduled to start either then or like 3 weeks after, so he decided to just rush in between to get it over with rather than spend 3 weeks in between. he thinks it will be easier this way. Like he graduates, travels the day after, and starts the day after that. Maybe that is like 2 days, but he leaves to travel the day after. I feel like it is a big day though and important and so I want to go. I also don't want to be the one to talk his mom out of going, I feel like that is either something he should have told her or he should let her come, but that's another issue
  4. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    My ex-db went to his AIT the day after his graduation. His family went early and stayed a couple days before family day. Then I arrived the morning of his graduation. Then his family drove him to his AIT. He was at Ft Benning for basic and went to Ft Gordon for AIT. So about 5ish hours I think? I missed a couple days of school but I had told my profs early enough on that I would miss. It wasn't too big of a deal. His graduation was on a Thursday I think. I left after my last class on Wed. We drove there. Me, my mom's husband and one of Joe's friends (whom also goes to my college). Then we stayed with Joe's family in a chalet on post. Something like that. Hope that helps.
  5. inlovewithjon
    I was planning on going to my df's ait graduation for a long time...then he told me not to come. He said it would just be a waste of my time and money because he would be so busy and we wouldn't have much time to be together. He may just be looking out for you. I'm sure he would like to have someone there. Jon said that during his basic graduation....no one came for him and he was absolutely crushed because once he saw all of his buddies with their wives, girlfriends and families...he wished someone came to be with him.
    There will be other graduations to go to also. Good luck :-)
  6. Senior Member
    This is way late but when my friends now husband graduated BCT he only had a day before he had to leave for A School. She barely got to spend 8 hrs with him but she said it was totally worth it...if that helps atall

7. The journey is the reward.
    The journey is the reward.
    Don't listen to him! Everyone else is going to have family there and if he does not I am sure that he will feel extremely homesick.

Also, my DH had "family day" the day before graduation (wed), where he received a day pass. On thurs, his graduation was at 10am and by noon we were outta there with an other day pass until 1900.

My advice is to wait and see. I'm sure that he will change his mind and I'm sure that you will recieve more information about graduation. But remember with the military nothing is set in stone! So don't be alarmed if something changes.

I am a feminist
  8. ericalynn2007
    He will for sure change his mind. Mine graduates this week from BCT and trust me they change alot. After going through what he will be going through he is going to want someone there!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I got ten minutes with DH (literally he RAN up to me, ran away to grab his bags, then was on a bus for AIT). He was also at Ft. Leonard Wood. I was also informed that unless soldier's are split-op(still in high school) they MUST get on a bus, there is no private transportation allowed.

Hope that helps!
  10. Senior Member
    We've already asked about taking him, but they say it is too far of a travel. Fort Leonard Wood to Fort Jackson. THat's what I'm worried about happening though. Going all the way out there just to see him for like 5 seconds. I think that would make it harder, not better. If he really does have family day and then graduation, i'd be inclined to go, but if it is going to be like 5 minutes, I would rather not, because I think it would make it harder to see him and then rush a goodbye again than to just fight through it the whole way throuhg.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast