Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Recruit has a close call @ Ft Jackson

1. Senior Member

Recruit has a close call @ Ft Jackson

Advertisements
    I read this article in the online version of Ft Jackson's newspaper this week:

Instructor saves Soldier’s life

Chris Rasmussen Leader Staff

A Fort Jackson range instructor is credited with saving a private’s life earlier this week at Remagen Hand Grenade Range. Staff Sgt. Ruben Delvalle saved Pvt. Donald Tharp, Company F, 1st Battalion, 34th Infantry Regiment, when the Basic Combat Training Soldier failed to successfully throw a live hand grenade around 11:30 a.m., Monday. “The Soldier did everything correctly until he was told to throw the grenade,” said Sgt. 1st Class Michael Gilpatric, an instructor with Company B, Victory Support Battalion. “When he threw it, he threw it straight to the ground instead of out of the bay.” Delvalle, following his training, instinctively picked up Tharp and threw him over the bay wall and followed suit to the other side before the grenade exploded. There were no injuries. “Staff Sergeant Delvalle was relaxed as anyone could be following the mishap. You would have thought he just got finished with a full-body massage,” Gilpatric said. “The private was pretty shaken up and probably a little embarrassed.” Training at the range was shut down for a few hours following the incident as statements were taken by Military Police and the Fort Jackson Safety Office. “This happens every once in a great while. It was just a fluke training accident,” Gilpatric said. Delvalle, who was on 72 hours leave following the incident, could not be reached for comment at press time. The last mishap at Remagen Hand Grenade Range occurred on Nov. 23 when Gilpatric was credited with saving a private’s life following identical circumstances. “We train just for this sort of situation,” he said. “I reacted, the Soldier reacted and we both made it out okay.” There were similar close calls Dec. 9, 2005, and Jan. 23, 2006, when BCT Soldiers’ live grenades failed to clear the bay wall. Neither of those situations resulted in injuries.
  2. googlegirl
    is PVT Tharp your DB?
  3. Senior Member
    nope, sorry, i should have clarified. i have no idea who pvt tharp is, i just thought it was an interesting story.
  4. googlegirl
    oh-
  5. I see the light at the end of the tunnel...
    I see the light at the end of the tunnel...
    As I was reading his article I was hoping that I would find out that it was my silly DB who would do something like that! Thank goodness that PVT Tharp is ok and that it wasn't mine! =]
    TTFN. Ta-ta for now MSOS.