Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Letters & Basic

1. Senior Member

Letters & Basic

Advertisements
    The general advice on this board seems to be to write them lots of letters while they are in basic and that they love the support.

But have any of you had a SO tell you not to write?

I was lucky enough to get one phone call and when I asked him if he knew his address he said he couldn't remember and that I shouldn't write. I was really surprised by this, because I had planned to send him updates about his favorite sports teams and other happenings he'd be interested in.

I don't get it.

I can deal with a month and a week with one 9 minute phone call. I was expecting that. I was also expecting that communication by letter would be pretty one-sided since they're so busy. But being told not to write him any letters?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    No. That is very, very strange. I've never known ANYONE who told someone NOT to write And I went through basic!
  3. Loving My Navy Veteran
    Loving My Navy Veteran
    Sounds strange to me as well. Maybe that's how he's dealing with being in basic.

When my brother was in basic, I wrote letters to him all the time, and same with my DH when he was on deployments etc...
  4. Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    Wife of a weather guy, mom to a toddler tornado!
    nope, DH & my other buddies who have gone through have practically begged for letters. I send a letter or a card to DH everyday he was there, he liked the morale boost

5. Lovin' my Marine!
    Lovin' my Marine!
    I didn't go through basics with DH. But DH had told me no one really wrote him while he was there and he felt alone. I would just do it anyways.. Sorry, I wish I had more advice.
    Loving my Marine!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    No. That is very, very strange. I've never known ANYONE who told someone NOT to write And I went through basic!
    thanks, i'm grateful to get your opinion as someone who has been through basic.

we've done a year of long-distance relationship previously due to civilian responsibilities without difficulty, but i've been looking at basic/ait/airborne as a time to evaluate whether we have the communication skills to be a strong couple in the military context. it's one thing to be supportive of a SO, but being told "don't worry we'll catch up on all the details after training" is a little bit of a stretch considering that his training won't be over until march.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinJenny View Post
    thanks, i'm grateful to get your opinion as someone who has been through basic.

we've done a year of long-distance relationship previously due to civilian responsibilities without difficulty, but i've been looking at basic/ait/airborne as a time to evaluate whether we have the communication skills to be a strong couple in the military context. it's one thing to be supportive of a SO, but being told "don't worry we'll catch up on all the details after training" is a little bit of a stretch considering that his training won't be over until march.
    That sounds like a valid, sincere concern. You should write him and tell him that, because it really is going to test your relationship not having contact, ya know? It tested mine and DB's when he went to war, but we came out on top. I hope you two do as well.
  8. Lovin' my Marine!
    Lovin' my Marine!
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    That sounds like a valid, sincere concern. You should write him and tell him that, because it really is going to test your relationship not having contact, ya know? It tested mine and DB's when he went to war, but we came out on top. I hope you two do as well.
    This tour is testing DH and I and we are coming out on top as well!

I agree write him and tell him that.
    Loving my Marine!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela P. View Post
    I agree write him and tell him that.
    i wish i could, but he hasn't sent his address.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by navywife-sweetheart View Post
    Sounds strange to me as well. Maybe that's how he's dealing with being in basic.
    I was thinking the same thing. It sounds VERY strange though. Usually people going through basic want letters because that's what keeps them going. They know there are loved ones who support them and are there for them.

I hope he contacts you and changes his mind so you can start sending him letters. Sorry I don't have more advice.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast