Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Force Shaping (AF)

1. Senior Member

Force Shaping (AF)

Advertisements
    A childhood friend of mine who graduated from the AF academy had to leave the AF because of force shaping. I was just wondering what you guys think about force shaping?

It doesn't make sense to me to kick out a bunch of AF Academy Grads because the Air Force invested so much in them... meanwhile the AF continues to accept new recruits. I get the new recruits are on different payscales than academy grads but still....
  2. Epic
    Epic

They are doing force shaping on the enlisted side also. I know quite a few people that have been told to either crosstrain or get out because they won't be receiving a CJR in their current AFSC.

The Air Force isn't taking as many enlisted recruits as they have in the past. One of my friends husband is a recruiter and a few months ago his recruitment goal for a couple months was zero.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USAF_Gal View Post
    One of my friends husband is a recruiter and a few months ago his recruitment goal for a couple months was zero.
    That's good to know!

I think it's pretty rough on the folks (enlisted or otherwise) who had planned of making a career out of the air force to be told that they are no longer needed. Or at least that's what I've noticed with my (admittedly small) sample of friends that were subject to force shaping.

It seemed crazy to me when I first heard of force shaping, because we read in the news all the time about how the military is hurting for new recruits, but I was forgetting the differences between the branches.
  4. Epic
    Epic

Quote Originally Posted by AustinJenny View Post
    That's good to know!

It seemed crazy to me when I first heard of force shaping, because we read in the news all the time about how the military is hurting for new recruits, but I was forgetting the differences between the branches.
    I am not sure about now but a only two or three years ago the Army was offering cash incentives to anyone who went Blue to Green because they were hurting for people.

Thankfully my husband has secured his CJR and will reenlist again next month. By the time that enlistment is up if something happens where he can't reenlist for a third time he will have enough years in for the Air Force to retire him early.