Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting off as an Officer, or not.

1. Senior Member

Starting off as an Officer, or not.

Advertisements
    I remember that when DB was first looking into joining the Army or Navy he spoke with regular recruiters and officer recruiters.

...and as I remember DB putting it, he would have to wait longer to enter the Army at the officer level so his regular Army recruiter encouraged him to enlist (that means joining as a non-officer right?) and then file paperwork to become an officer later. DB has graduated from college and grad school (I thought, but maybe I am wrong, that there was a connection between having your degree and officer status?).

The strategy the recruiter recommended seems a little strange to me. Deep down I think DB wanted to go to regular BCT instead of the officer basic (I forget what that's called off the top of my head) so I guess it works out for him. But he told me that, eventually, if he files paperwork to become an officer he will have to do additional full-time training (DB joined the reserves). Does anyone know more about these kinds of situations?
    Last edited by terpsichore; 07-15-2007 at 11:36 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    Edit: I think I should narrow that question. I guess what I was wondering about is how recruiters determine whether a recruit will enter as an officer or not? Once you join it doesn't seem fair that you could "skip" ahead of other enlisted men in promotions. That's what I'm not understanding.
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

Well, if he goes in as enlisted he can move up to become an officer but he has to either have a college degree or go green to gold and from what I have heard it is not an easy thing to do. Lots of paperwork and run around and finding the time to get it all done with all of the deployments and stuff right now is next to impossible for a lot of people. Also, Officers can't just get out of the service when their contract is up. They are basically signed up for life and have to submit a resignation that may or may not be accepted depending on the circumstance and need. I don't know if he wants to go career or not, but that is something to consider.

Good luck!
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    Also, Officers can't just get out of the service when their contract is up. They are basically signed up for life and have to submit a resignation that may or may not be accepted depending on the circumstance and need. I don't know if he wants to go career or not, but that is something to consider.

Good luck!
    He has a bachelor's degree so that part isn't a problem.

But thanks for the interesting point about officer contracts. That's something that I didn't know (and it certainly hasn't been mentioned in my own discussions with JAG recruiters!!!).
  5. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

If he already has a degree and definitely wants to be an officer ( definitely have him ask the recruiters about resignation when he wants to get out of the military) I would suggest going in as an officer. I have seen a LOT of guys get pushed to the side when it comes to crossing from enlisted to officer because of deployments and the need for more enlisted soldiers.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I would suggest going in as an officer. I have seen a LOT of guys get pushed to the side when it comes to crossing from enlisted to officer because of deployments and the need for more enlisted soldiers.
    Thanks for your insight! I was really hoping he'd have the patience to wait to enter as an officer but he's already enlisted.

PS: I am mesmerized by that sig pic
  7. Beltway Bandit
    Beltway Bandit
    Blog Entries
    It's true that Officers must resign their comissions, as opposed to the finishing out of enlistments that Enlisted do. But as long as the Officer files the paperwork to resign his/her comission (about six months before they want to get out) it's not a problem. People do get stoplossed but I don't think it affects Officers more than Enlisted.

It sounds like the recruiter was saying that your DB would have to wait longer for a spot in OCS (Officer Candidate School) than he would if he went to BCT.

Something else you may not know: my understanding is that Enlisted have more of a choice of MOS (jobs) than Officers do in choosing their jobs (called branches for Officers). My DH was assigned to a branch that he wasn't happy with, he was able to branch transfer to his preferred branch at the three year mark but he was very fortunate to be able to do so, branches don't like to let people go so you have to have a pretty compelling argument why you should be let out of your branch.

HTH!
  8. Senior Member
    You can't just go into any service as an "Officer". OCS (Officer Candidate School) is extremely competitive and only take so many people for so many classes a year. Your DB is competeing for slots with other Reserve, AD members and civilians. There are so many slots for each of them, once those are filled they have to reapply.

They go through boards, physicals, interviews etc to even apply for those slots. Then and only then if their package is "accepted" the OCS board reviews them and IF they are picked they are told when they will go.

Having a degree helps, but it's also about the needs of the service at the time of the package and his degree may not be suitable for that need at that time.
  9. Senior Member
    i understand that it's competitive to earn a spot in OCS. what i did not originally understand was why db would want to jump into bct instead of waiting out a spot in OCS. among other things, he's starting late (he's 32) so it sounds like it was for the best that he get started.

i was concerned that once he enlisted it would be more difficult to get a spot in OCS because they had already trained him for other work.

anyhow, any worrying i might do accomplishes nothing. he's perfectly happy with his decisions i think it's just hard for me to comprehend him starting out at the very bottom given his level of responsibility in his civilian job. but his civilian skills might not be as relevant to the army as i would like to imagine

thanks for the info ladies! it's much appreciated
  10. Jessi
    as far as being called back into duty after retiring from the military as an officer goes...that only happens if 1. you are a higher ranking officer 2. your skills are desperately needed in your field 3. your a pilot.....under those circumstances you might as well stay in but outside of those and there are plenty people who are not pilots, generals, and astrophysic geniuses, you won't be called back on a regular basis. I would say if you enlist...your more likely to get in right away, officers, they have to test you alot to make sure you fit in somewhere and have the capacity...i dunno which is better, can't really say, i think it depends on what you wanna do, whether you'd like to be the one overseeing people, or the one doing the actual work
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast