Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phones in Basic?

1. Senior Member

Cell Phones in Basic?

Advertisements
    Has anyone heard of the Army giving guys in Basic limited cell phone access?
  2. Happy little tree
    Happy little tree
    Nope. DH got to use the pay phone maybe...TWICE during his 9 weeks at basic. And both those times were earned privileges...I'm sure it all depends on the unit, post, superiors, their progress and actions, etc. But I've never heard of them allowing cell phones or any electronic things at all in Basic.

Keep up with all of our adventures with renovating a 1960s ranch house - check out MY BLOG!

3. msdarbonne
    Yes. DHs company didn't get any of their personal belongings until the day before gradustion. But another company got all of their stuff after a few weeks in...this included cell phones. BUt I wouldn't count on it if I were you!!
  4. After all you're my wonderwall
    After all you're my wonderwall
    mike took his cell phone and was able to call every sunday on it..there was one sunday he didn't get to call..but he used it..and we only got to talk for a few minutes..where is your SO at? Mike was at fort wood..but i have a best friend at fort benning, and he wasn't able to make calls at all..so it depends.
  5. Senior Member
    thanks ladies.

i just spent the weekend at home, where all of my hometown "friends" told me i was crazy for sticking with DB (they were making all kinds of jokes suggesting DB is just pretending to be away at basic).

so, when i just got a call coming from DB's cell phone i had a minor panic attack. first, i thought that something must have gone terribly wrong or that he had gotten injured and then my "friends" jokes started running through my mind.

anyhow, i realize a phone call is a blessing. i was just beyond shocked that this was allowed based on what i've read about bct on the boards.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Depends on the drill sergeants, but usually toward the end they are either given access to cells or to payphones. I would suggest sending a couple phone cards to him just in case he gets payphone privileges. I have $1100 in collect calls from Basic I'm having to pay right now...
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allypooh View Post
    mike took his cell phone and was able to call every sunday on it..there was one sunday he didn't get to call..but he used it..and we only got to talk for a few minutes..where is your SO at? Mike was at fort wood..but i have a best friend at fort benning, and he wasn't able to make calls at all..so it depends.
    he is at fort jackson.
  8. bunkie
    I think it also depends on your MOS. Cell phones in basic are unheard of with Tankers.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have never heard of anyone getting limited cell phone usage in BCT regardless of branch. It has always been limited pay phone calls during the training period.
  10. msdarbonne
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinJenny View Post
    he is at fort jackson.
    DH was at Jackson too. SO yes, some of the Drill Sgts. allow cell phone use there!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast