Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: going from SPC to SGT

1. Senior Member

going from SPC to SGT

Advertisements
    My husband is studying for the boards. A friend made a comment about they had to wait til a SGT position opens up. Does anyone know how all that works?
  2. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    When a soldier is waiting to go from E-4 to E-5 or E-5 to E-6, they have to first go to a promotion board. Once they pass the board they must sumbit their promotion packet and then they wait on points. Everything in their promotion packet is worth differing points, and the people with the most points get promoted first. Wait time can be as little as 45 days(minimum time required to wait for points to be counted) to YEARS. It all depends on their MOS. Usually, there is a points drop around the end of the fiscal year and then it jumps again in november/december. Most people wait around 3 months though, and as soon as points drop equal or below your score the paperwork will go through to promote the soldier. Then the soldier will receive his new rank and new pay within a few weeks. I'm waiting in this same mess as you!
  3. rachaelandyogi
    DB's dealing with this right now too! She already said pretty much everything, so I'll just agree
  4. bunkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    When a soldier is waiting to go from E-4 to E-5 or E-5 to E-6, they have to first go to a promotion board. Once they pass the board they must sumbit their promotion packet and then they wait on points. Everything in their promotion packet is worth differing points, and the people with the most points get promoted first. Wait time can be as little as 45 days(minimum time required to wait for points to be counted) to YEARS. It all depends on their MOS. Usually, there is a points drop around the end of the fiscal year and then it jumps again in november/december. Most people wait around 3 months though, and as soon as points drop equal or below your score the paperwork will go through to promote the soldier. Then the soldier will receive his new rank and new pay within a few weeks. I'm waiting in this same mess as you!

I agree. And what you said about months points changes made so much sense! Our points just sky rocketed out of no where.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    For once, Jennifer saves ME the typing
  6. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    Quote Originally Posted by bunkie View Post
    I agree. And what you said about months points changes made so much sense! Our points just sky rocketed out of no where.
    Yeah..my husband watched the points drop for 18 months when waiting on E-5, and then it sat for 8 months straight at one point above his level...and he ahd no way to get more right then...then the next month it jumped out of the blue, then the next month crashed waaaaay below his point level. I hope it goes down for y'all soon. Are you up for 6 like me?
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    For once, Jennifer saves ME the typing
    I knew it would come back someday
  7. Senior Member
    thank you.
  8. bunkie
    Nope up for 5. The points are a miserable 798. or something like that. They just shot up out of no where. *shakes head in disgust*
  9. i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    i didn't realize that the USSR was back.
    Wow glad my dh is in the Navy, that sounds crazy.

I will miss you SOS...
    Please be wary of what you post remember OPSEC is not just another acronym.

10. hurry up and wait....
    hurry up and wait....
    Quote Originally Posted by bunkie View Post
    Nope up for 5. The points are a miserable 798. or something like that. They just shot up out of no where. *shakes head in disgust*
    798???????798???? that is outrageous! Ugh! I hope they drop soon hon. I can't even remember where to check where the points are at...I ahve no idea where they are sitting for us right now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast