Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: National Guard to Active Duty?

1. eeyore_adw

Confused National Guard to Active Duty?

Advertisements
    Have any of your SO's went from the National Guard to Full Time/Active Duty Army? My husband is currently deployed, and is due home in a couple months, he has mentioned a couple of times about switching to AD Army.. as I have sat here and thought about our financial situations when he returns I realize that we will struggle(we've always struggled). I looked up pay on a website and according to it he would make close to twice as much if he was AD/FT army than he makes in civilian life. So we are considering it, BUT I do NOT want this decision to be made only because of finances.

So, how did you and/or your SO decide to make the switch?
    What are some pros & cons of AD/FT Army?
    What is housing really like?
    Any other advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

I just want us to be able to weigh all options and situations before we decide.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My dh was deployed when he decided to go Active & get out of the Guard. It has been the best choice we've made. We love it all so far. We don't live on post...we bought a house off post so I can't help you on that.

Switching was an easy choice for us because of our finances. We are definitely making more now that when he was in the NG.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck!

Earn extra cash here or here or here!
  3. eeyore_adw
    thanks so much for responding... I really think financially it will be the best for us...because like I said from the info I've found it seems we'll be making 2x as much... but I want to make sure he'll be happy with it, but I think he will if he keeps his same MOS because thats the reason he joined to begin with..... or something along those lines...
    He hasn't mentioned it in a few months, and now I'm worried about bringing it up because I think he'll think I"m forcing him too....because he's the type he'll do anything to make sure ends meet whether its work 2 jobs or whatever..so if I mention it for financial reasons he'll go along with it ..but he was the first to mention it so I do think there is some interest on his part.

What about moving? I'm straddling the fence on that one, part of me wants to travel, meet new people experience new things, but the other part wants to raise my family in one area or house(very old fashioned I know)...

So much to think about :-)

and we've basically decided no matter what that he's reenlisting..that was our first big decision since the deployment .. but thats when AD also got brought up.

Again thanks for answering......and any others out there with advice, let me have it!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Moving was a little stressful but we survived it. I lived in Missouri my whole life until now so it's been fun being able to travel. I've been able to see a lot of new things I probably would have never. Also meeting new friends has been great.

I had all of the concerns you have. I was worried about everything! I just made sure I asked a million questions when DH talked to the recruiter and also to other military wives just like you are now.

Earn extra cash here or here or here!
  5. eeyore_adw
    Thanks..Yeah I've lived in KY for basically all of my life.. but part of me wants to move..
    Another issue I just thought of, the cost of living in those areas where we may get stationed (anywhere) because we live in a pretty small town in KY so compared to most other places the cost of living is pretty low. So that raise in pay may be good if we got to stay here in little ole SE KY..but if we go active duty and move then that money may not be as good as it sounds..that just hit me..

But thanks again for responding.
    I'm hoping other wives will respond also, even if they haven't experienced the switch from NG to AD, most now about the AD life..

And yeah there will be tons of questions I'm sure!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I hope that you and your DH make the right decision for you. One thing to consider is that the BAH that you get is based on the area that you are stationed in. SO if the cost of living is higher than what you are used to, then that most likely will be higher for the area that you would be moving to.

We experienced that when we moved from SC to VA. The cost of living was about double in VA, but our BAH was higher here to help out with that.