Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: questions about reserves and kind of an update on our situation

1. Senior Member

questions about reserves and kind of an update on our situation

Advertisements
    Im sure most of you know about our trouble with the NCS program John enlisted under. I typed up a letter and was all set to start sending it off to government officals, I had been making phone calls and talking with important people then all of a sudden John started talking like he wanted to get out. So I asked him what he wanted and he wasn't sure. I said I wouldn't do another thing unless he asked me to and he didn't ask me to. He put in another request to extend his contract but now its getting stopped by the career counsler on his ship. He was told since it was denyed by bupers he shit out of luck. He said hes going to keep trying though.

Im getting more and more comfortable with the idea of not a Navy family. Im still scared because I have no clue what type of job he'll get or where it will be. I don't want to HAVE to work just to pay the bills. So I've got my fingers crossed he gets something good. I'd like to go to school so I can get a good job.

since its looking more and more like we'll be done in December I've got some questions about being in the reserves.

Do we get to keep tricare?

Do I get to keep my ID, which would let me continue to use the commy and get military discounts?

If John doesn't get a job near a base what happens when he has to train?

Is it harder to get a job being in the reserves? I know employers aren't suppost to discriminate but I know they do anyway.

Most employers give 1 or 2 weeks vacation and John will have to do the 2 weeks a year thing will he have to use his vacation for that or is the employer required to allow him additional time off to serve his reserve time?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed

This is how much dh knows-hope it helps Heather--
    Do we get to keep tricare? no

Do I get to keep my ID, which would let me continue to use the commy and get military discounts? he thinks so

If John doesn't get a job near a base what happens when he has to train? He will have to find a command somewhere to train that is nearest to you

Is it harder to get a job being in the reserves? I know employers aren't suppost to discriminate but I know they do anyway. he has no idea

Most employers give 1 or 2 weeks vacation and John will have to do the 2 weeks a year thing will he have to use his vacation for that or is the employer required to allow him additional time off to serve his reserve time? his new job has to give him time to leave that is NOT considered vacation time
  3. Senior Member
    Thanks Dawna. That does answer some of my questions!!
  4. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    if you'd like, heather, shoot jason an email... when he was in the reserves, i know we got to continue to use the commy/nex/etc and you can use tricare, you just have to pay a monthly premium for it
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    you can still use tricare its just very costly and most company insurance plans are cheaper...we have found that out with dh being in the reserves. We are very lucky dh has a DOD job so he works on the base he trains on so its only 30 minutes away from home. and yes his work has to give it to him but he uses up our family vacation time to do his reserve drill thats the only down side.

If John doens't get a job near a base he will still ahve to find a way to get to his training site one weekend a month, when he registers with the reserves they will tell him which reserve site is his...hope this helps some
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Hope things work out for you and you get the results that you want.
  7. Miranda
    Hey Heather, i havent been on much lately, so ill have to try to go back through old threads, but was just curious what kind of problems you were running into with NCS. My DH is NCS, as well, and its a program that weve had many headaches over. Just curious You can PM me if u want or whatever