Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advancement understanding...

1. Navy Wife
    Navy Wife

Question Advancement understanding...

Advertisements
    My husband advanced on the 23rd from E-3 to E-4 (MM3). I know that it is based on a test... I do believe he has advanced quick since he just reached his 2 year mark... can someone enlighten me as to how the advancements work and the timing?
  2. Regular Member
    That wasn't too quick. my hubby hasn't even hit a year and a half in the Navy and he is now E-4. And as far as I know, depending on just HOW good he did on the test indicates which group he'll be in for when he starts getting E-4 pay. Hubby told me that there are 3 different groups. The highest scoring people are in group 1, the middle scoring people are in group 2, and the lower scoring people are in group 3. Group 1 gets their pay advance first, then time passes (like a month or 2) and then Group 2 gets their pay advance, then another month or 2 passes and Group 3 gets their pay advance. So ask him what percentage he scored in and if he knows what group he'll be in.

He should have taken his indoc class already and should be getting Frocked(sp?) soon. I've never been to a frocking ceremony so I can't tell you what that's like or what they do exactly, but it's where they can officially wear their new ranks on their uniforms and such.

And I guess to generally explain what advancement is: Every few months Sailors take a advancement test. That test is made individually for their rate. And passing the test alone doesn't mean you'll advance. Every job in the Navy has a different "Advancement Rate" pretty much meaning they are only going to advance they amount they need. for that specific job and rank. For instance, my husbands advancement rate was only 10%, so he had to score in the 90% range in order to advance. He did, in the 99% actually so he advanced. But if you passed, but only got to the top 89%, they wont advance you.

Some jobs have a 100% advancement rate meaning he can pass with just one point over failing, and he'll advance. I myself don't find that fair or sensible at all because like my hubby, he had to study like CRAZY for this test so he could advance. but when it comes to 100% advancement rate, you can practically fail it and not work for it at all and you'll advance. But eh, it's how they do it.

Anyway, I hope this gave you some extra info on it. I'm sure theres much more but I'm still pretty new at all this.

3. Senior Member
    wow thats way differnt than the USMC

No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NavySweetheart View Post
    That wasn't too quick. my hubby hasn't even hit a year and a half in the Navy and he is now E-4. And as far as I know, depending on just HOW good he did on the test indicates which group he'll be in for when he starts getting E-4 pay. Hubby told me that there are 3 different groups. The highest scoring people are in group 1, the middle scoring people are in group 2, and the lower scoring people are in group 3. Group 1 gets their pay advance first, then time passes (like a month or 2) and then Group 2 gets their pay advance, then another month or 2 passes and Group 3 gets their pay advance. So ask him what percentage he scored in and if he knows what group he'll be in.

He should have taken his indoc class already and should be getting Frocked(sp?) soon. I've never been to a frocking ceremony so I can't tell you what that's like or what they do exactly, but it's where they can officially wear their new ranks on their uniforms and such.

And I guess to generally explain what advancement is: Every few months Sailors take a advancement test. That test is made individually for their rate. And passing the test alone doesn't mean you'll advance. Every job in the Navy has a different "Advancement Rate" pretty much meaning they are only going to advance they amount they need. for that specific job and rank. For instance, my husbands advancement rate was only 10%, so he had to score in the 90% range in order to advance. He did, in the 99% actually so he advanced. But if you passed, but only got to the top 89%, they wont advance you.

Some jobs have a 100% advancement rate meaning he can pass with just one point over failing, and he'll advance. I myself don't find that fair or sensible at all because like my hubby, he had to study like CRAZY for this test so he could advance. but when it comes to 100% advancement rate, you can practically fail it and not work for it at all and you'll advance. But eh, it's how they do it.

Anyway, I hope this gave you some extra info on it. I'm sure theres much more but I'm still pretty new at all this.
    Great explaining!!!! My husband is at his 1 1/2 year mark and he made E4. Im happy for him because it makes him so much happier!
  5. Navy Wife
    Navy Wife
    I know it's different for every job... as to the advancement rate. He was in a group of 5 out of 20 if my memory served me right that were able to advance. His pay kicks in the first group from what I know so he did well. I am proud of him regardless as he didn't think he passed and the test is hard cause it covers way more then his job covers so he had to study his rear off.
  6. Senior Member
    My husband hasn't even been in a year (it'll be a year next month) & he just advanced to E-4. But IDK anything about when we'll get the pay. I heard it can be anywhere for 6-8 months, sometimes even a year. Which sucks. And we won't get back pay for it either. Gotta love the navy!
  7. Navy Wife
    Navy Wife
    It's the hurry up and wait game...
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    It's the hurry up and wait game...
    Just like everything else in the Military!
  9. Navy Wife
    Navy Wife
    LOL... ooops I forgot to answer that he has had his indoc class and he was frocked.

I do know that advancements are on a space available basis so depending on your job in the military it could take a while to get advanced. I know a lot of guys who have been stuck at E4 forever it seems like. Just depends on the needs of the Navy.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani View Post
    \

I do know that advancements are on a space available basis so depending on your job in the military it could take a while to get advanced. I know a lot of guys who have been stuck at E4 forever it seems like. Just depends on the needs of the Navy.

Ya, that's excatly it. For IT (my husbands rate) E4's are needed bad, so his advancement rate was pretty high. But none the less, Im still very proud of him!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast