Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: considering joining

1. FaT_BoYz_LaDy

considering joining

Advertisements
    so last nighti was talking to dh and telling him that if and when he gets out id like to join and he was telling me that id be an officer cuz by then id have a degree....is that true? and would the bootcamp be different or the same for an officer
  2. Senior Member
    I believe bootcamp is different for officers, they put the emphasis on different things from what I was told. You can join as an officer with a degree or you can merely go enlisted and work your way up. Just from what I have heard. Good luck in your decision.
  3. FaT_BoYz_LaDy
    well by then time i would join id have my degree so id definetly do that plus if dh got out and i started from the bottom the change in pay would kill us. anyways thanks for answering my question either way on tuesday im gonna go to the recruiting office and talk to someone there
  4. bunkie
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyS View Post
    I believe bootcamp is different for officers, they put the emphasis on different things from what I was told. You can join as an officer with a degree or you can merely go enlisted and work your way up. Just from what I have heard. Good luck in your decision.
    I agree.
  5. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    Good Luck Hun
    I would definitly talk to a recruiter and going in as an officer would be great for you guys
  6. Senior Member
    You would go to Officer Canidate School. Similar to bootcamp but with leaderdship training as well. My husband did this after he was enlisted and then went to college.
    http://www.nsgreatlakes.navy.mil/otcp/
    This should help. If you have any questions ...just ask. I can ask my DH
  7. Bex
    Banned
    Banned
    Just because you have a degree, doesn't mean that you would automatically be an officer, from what I understand. Good luck!
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by troublemaker View Post
    Just because you have a degree, doesn't mean that you would automatically be an officer, from what I understand. Good luck!
    This is very true, my dh went in with a BS, they have to need what your degree is in and if they don't they don't accept you in as an officer.
  9. Senior Member
    You would still have to go through basic training and then go to OCS. My wife is doing that but while deployed she is getting her bachelors degree. You have to start with basic because there they teach you basics like how to pack a seabag and things like that. It is easy though, I have been through it and so has my wife. If a person like me that didnt know how to swim joined the Navy and can swim now can do it, I am pretty sure you would have no problems. Good luck!
  10. Senior Member
    I heard that you dont go to Boot camp, you go to OCS (Officer Candidate School). But maybe I am thinking when you do the program where you go to college and the Navy pays for it and then when you get done school you are a commisioned officer.
    Last edited by navyaowife2005; 04-30-2007 at 04:42 PM. Reason: wanted to add something.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast