Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sea Tour vs Shore Tours...What's the difference?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Sea Tour vs Shore Tours...What's the difference?

Advertisements
    Hi all,
    I'm extremely new to this whole Navy thing. My fiancée will be graduating RTC/Basic Training in 2 weeks. He got a phone call to home the other day and told me his rate for his job, etc. So I Googled it and came upon the latest shore/sea rotations and I'm a bit confused.

I understand the differences in duty and whether or not he'll be "deployable" or not, but what I don't understand is the time.

From what I do understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, his first enlistment is a total of 6 years from start to finish.

How can his first Sea Tour be 54 months and his First Shore Tour be 36 months?
    How do I know if he's on his first, second, third, etc tour?
    Would that make nearly his entire first enlistment Sea Tour, assuming he's sent to a Sea Command first?

Any explanation/correction would be greatly appreciated. For now, I'm chalking it up to him being gone all the time and possibly deploying at any point!

Thanks in advance!!
    B!

(I don't even know if I'm in the right section of the forum! )
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

How he spends his first tour will depend on what command he goes to. If he goes to a sea command first it may take up his entire first enlistment. If he goes to shore duty first he could end that tour and still have to commit the rest of his time for that enlistment to sea duty and it'll end when his contract is up if he didn't reenlist. You'll know which he's on because in most cases they rotate from one to the other, so if he goes to a sea command first and is in long enough to see another command it is most likely he will go to shore next. Everything within the needs of the Navy and his rate of course.
  3. Senior Member
    Last edited by Margot31; 08-09-2017 at 07:03 AM.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    And sea tour just means he is attached to a ships. When the ship is docked, he is on base. Carriers for example on?y do 6 to 9 months out to sea. It can then spend a year docked.
    So don't worry that he will be gone the entire time
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    And sea tour just means he is attached to a ships. When the ship is docked, he is on base. Carriers for example on?y do 6 to 9 months out to sea. It can then spend a year docked.
    So don't worry that he will be gone the entire time
    So I will add a bit to this come when they get ready to deploy they will be in an out all the time. While my husband is not attached to a ship, he is attached to a squadron which than gets attached to ships or a smaller ship (detachment) during workup time he is just always in and out. But if there is maintenance going on or they just came home from deployment generally they are in port a little bit longer than when getting ready for deployment.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you all so much! This makes a little more sense now.