Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: WHO'S BEEN TO AN ARMY RETIREMENT PARTY?! Good...can you tell me how to plan one?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

WHO'S BEEN TO AN ARMY RETIREMENT PARTY?! Good...can you tell me how to plan one?

Advertisements
    My fiance will be retiring soon. I am brand spankin new to all things military. He is a 1SG who's given decades of his life to the Army and his soldiers. I know that as his wife (I will be by then) I'll be "in charge" of the retirement party. I have no idea how to even begin. Is there some kind of pomp and circumstance expected? His office looks like an awards museum. Should I be preparing some kind of award-ish thing? Since I have not been by his side throughout his career I don't even know how to go about making a guest list. He is such an amazing man who goes above and beyond for me always. I want to do the same for him. Please help!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Armaroundhome View Post
    My fiance will be retiring soon. I am brand spankin new to all things military. He is a 1SG who's given decades of his life to the Army and his soldiers. I know that as his wife (I will be by then) I'll be "in charge" of the retirement party. I have no idea how to even begin. Is there some kind of pomp and circumstance expected? His office looks like an awards museum. Should I be preparing some kind of award-ish thing? Since I have not been by his side throughout his career I don't even know how to go about making a guest list. He is such an amazing man who goes above and beyond for me always. I want to do the same for him. Please help!
    You aren't really "in charge" in any official capacity. And dear God no, don't write an award! That's a military thing.

Has he asked you to plan a party for him? Are you sure he even wants one? I've been to multiple retirement parties, and they've all been very different, because each one was planned based on the person and his or her personality. It's really like a birthday party or anything else. Most have just been fairly chill gatherings with food and a cake and people walking around having fun. There is no required formal "pomp and circumstance". Remind yourself again and again that this is a private, civilian party, even if it is celebrating a military milestone. Key words--civilian. party.

For the guest list? Ask him who he wants to have invited. This is a civilian party, so he can invite or not invite whomever he wants. If he likes his current bosses or has people who were mentors in his career, he may want to invite them. He may want to invite his entire shop or small command. He may want to invite lots of civilian friends. Ask him.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    Perhaps you are confusing a retirement ceremony with a retirement party. The ceremony has more pomp and circumstance, but still as Vill say they are both individual based on the individual retiring. In fact, neither is required. Does he know anyone retiring between now and his retirement? If so, perhaps you could attend and get a glimpse into what they are like.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you so much for the info! I feel much more relaxed about this now.
  5. Senior Member
    I have not been to one, but my SO is going this weekend to one. I'll have him give me the LD