Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Full Time NG

1. Senior Member

Help Full Time NG

Advertisements
    SO is home from BCT and has an opportunity to go full time NG in a different state (about 7 hours away from where we live now). He is being deployed in about 9 months for about a year. He currently has a job, the one he has before he left for BCT, but hates it and doesn't want to go back.

If he took the NG position he would be moving to another state for the job and I would be staying where we are currently. The plan was to wait out 9 months where we currently are and then he would be deployed and when he comes back, if the opportunity was there, make the move to full time NG. SO is now saying he doesn't want to go back to his old job at all and is really considering going to the full time NG. I told him I am not moving for 9 months to a different state and then moving back to live with my mom while he is deployed. Financially I think its a stupid idea because I have a good job right now and we only pay $500 in rent. If he moved and I stayed we would be in a LD relationship for about 19 months. The full time NG position is only temporary too, so once he comes back from deployment it will no longer be there and he will be jobless.

Im asking for opinions if you were in this situation would you make the move, stay where you are, or have a LD relationship (this wouldn't be our first, we were separated for a year about 2 years ago and I hated every minute of it)
  2. Senior Member
    I don't mean this in a snarky tone or anything, but why didn't he go army if he wanted full time employment? From my understanding, NG isn't usually a full time gig. I know people have switched branches before... but it sounds like he has commitments to fufill before that would be possible. If he gets home and still wants to be full time after the opportunity passes, can he consider switching then?

I mean, he has to do what he feels is right, and so do you. If you gotta do an LDR, then you can make it work. I mean, 7 hours is not terrible in the scheme of things... I know there are points in time when it will certainly feel like it.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    I don't mean this in a snarky tone or anything, but why didn't he go army if he wanted full time employment? From my understanding, NG isn't usually a full time gig. I know people have switched branches before... but it sounds like he has commitments to fufill before that would be possible. If he gets home and still wants to be full time after the opportunity passes, can he consider switching then?

I mean, he has to do what he feels is right, and so do you. If you gotta do an LDR, then you can make it work. I mean, 7 hours is not terrible in the scheme of things... I know there are points in time when it will certainly feel like it.
    He has some personal reasons why he didnt go full time/enlistment with the Army right now. Probably when he comes back from deployment that will change.
  4. Senior Member
    Since it sounds like there's very little chance of him staying in that location after the deployment, I probably wouldn't move.

But I'm also not sure I'd sign off on the whole plan overall. Instead of going to a temporary position that would require a lengthy LDR, I think I'd want him to find a permanent job. If he doesn't like his current on, so be it, but then look for something else. To me, that would be the obvious place to look for a real solution that would be best for everyone in the family. Going to a job that not only separated us, but that would leave him likely unemployed in less than two years is not something I'd have an easy time supporting.

Also, if he is considering trying to go full time Army, he should make sure that waiting 19 months doesn't make him too old.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Since it sounds like there's very little chance of him staying in that location after the deployment, I probably wouldn't move.

But I'm also not sure I'd sign off on the whole plan overall. Instead of going to a temporary position that would require a lengthy LDR, I think I'd want him to find a permanent job. If he doesn't like his current on, so be it, but then look for something else. To me, that would be the obvious place to look for a real solution that would be best for everyone in the family. Going to a job that not only separated us, but that would leave him likely unemployed in less than two years is not something I'd have an easy time supporting.

Also, if he is considering trying to go full time Army, he should make sure that waiting 19 months doesn't make him too old.
    You made some really good points. Thank you. After the 19 months he would be 32 so I think he would still make the cut off if he chose to move to full time Army.
  6. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post

A few of DH's NG friends are full time Guard and those jobs are usually temperamental and based on budget. Subject to be cut at any moment. I'd personally be a little leary if my DH wanted to go NG full time because the job security doesn't sound like it's there. I wouldn't give up a job and a home for 9 months to turn around and move back in with my mom. You can visit and make it work in the times he isn't deployed! It'll suck. But you can totally do it. Good luck with your decision!
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

7. Senior Member
    Help me understand a little more.. The spot 7 hours away is in a different state, is it with a different unit and under that State's NG? Or would he be in his same unit working under orders cut by his unit supporting a different state's NG..

Or is this a dual status job where he would be hired under Title 32 orders as a Federal Technician M-F?

My spouse has been a dual status Federal Technician for 15 years, we've had to handle just about every scenario there is.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leftover View Post
    Help me understand a little more.. The spot 7 hours away is in a different state, is it with a different unit and under that State's NG? Or would he be in his same unit working under orders cut by his unit supporting a different state's NG..

Or is this a dual status job where he would be hired under Title 32 orders as a Federal Technician M-F?

My spouse has been a dual status Federal Technician for 15 years, we've had to handle just about every scenario there is.

He is part of the NG in another state then the one we live in. The job is with his Unit, in that other state. What is a Federal Technician and what do they do?
  9. Senior Member
    Ok so what is going to make the difference is what kind of orders his unit would cut him to be Active for 9 month.. There's is title 10 and title 32...He needs to find a way to get under title 10 orders while he's doing his job in the other state.. I'll talk to Beedcake about it tomorrow, I could rry to expain it, but my Ambien has kiked in and I can't type.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    He is part of the NG in another state then the one we live in. The job is with his Unit, in that other state. What is a Federal Technician and what do they do?
    A Federal Civilian Technician is the National Guard dream job. He would work on post M-F, supporting the Guard Units, but he'd be employed at a Federal level. He'd have Federal insurance instead of Tricare, and a federal wage grade, national holidays off with pay.

Look around of usajobs.com, see what's out there for him in your area. Right now there's only temporary Federal Technician jobs thanks to that Feral Shouting Sweet Potato of a President that put on a hiring freeze for federal jobs.

Anyways, there would be a couple benefits to him taking the spot. It's called an ADOS, Active Duty Operational Support. He would get paid according to his rank instead of his drill MUTAs, and since it's over 30 days, he would get BAH and Tricare. You can Google the pay and BAH charts if you think that's something to consider. My husband said that before he would go on ADOS orders, he needs to make sure that he gets a release letter signed from his Adj General because it would be 100% VOLUNTARY on his part. That would assure that he wouldn't be required to come home on his dime to drill.

You could certainly move with him, but it the Army wouldn't pay to move you.. However, he would be getting that housing allowance based on his current zip code.

Who knows, deployments get cancelled, he could get a chance to change units, he could get a chance to re-class.. Plan for deployments, but don't plan your life around them. Eventually they're over.. <3 <3 <3