Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going active sooner than later

1. Senior Member

Going active sooner than later

Advertisements
    I have posted before about dh's plans to attempt to become an officer, and I got some really good advice. Including "if he wants to go officer, don't go enlisted."
    I'm super nervous, because he has decided that although he will turn in his officer package in December when he graduates, being active again is the priority for him. Which makes sense for our family, because quite frankly, we need the income.

So I thought the plan was to go active in October, when the fiscal year starts and the budget is good, and then to hope that he wouldn't have to be anywhere until after he graduated in December, and he was confident he could get a waiver/chit or whatever to allow him to stay here working at the naval center here until he graduates.

Okay, l can roll with that, support him.

So yesterday he drops a bomb on me that he talked to his mentor (dudes were on the phone forever) and his mentor told him that he shouldn't wait.... so dh is planning on putting in to go active "no later than July" (so just tell me you are doing it next drill weekend if that is what you mean). He says it will take a while to get orders, and his chief has been talking with him and they are confident he could stay in Cincinnati until he graduates.
    But, let's put this on the table, raise your hand if the navy/military has ever royally screwed over your plans....
    I'm so worried that he won't graduate, and if he doesn't graduate, going officer won't even be an option for him. Which, if that isn't what he wants, by all means, don't do it; we have been paying his tuition for the past two semesters and the next one because he ran out his GI bill getting an automotive associates which he didn't use, and I would be lying if I denied that was an issue for me. I am capable of getting over that if he truly wants to just go active again, but his schooling has held such high priority that it has contributed to my losing my last job (which was great pay for a medic!!!) and us moving to this hell hole that is batavia. We have put all of our cards into him getting his bachelors finished.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for here, I appreciate input. I really would like someone to say it is going to be okay. I mean, advice is good, but the decision is in the end, his. It sounds like he has talked to his chief and his mentor and his career counselor, so I don't think what I say can have much weight (in the way of expertise about the subject, he would take my wants/needs into consideration above his own, as I would his). I guess my main worry is that people are promising him things that are not necessarily in their power to promise, you know?
    I am well aware that if he does this he may well never become an officer, but an education is still nice to have.
    “There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide”

― Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self Reliance
  2. Senior Member
    Is his degree something that he could finish online after going active if the military changes plans/goes back on its word as it so often does? He may want to talk to his school and figure out if this is an option, either with online classes through the school itself or through another school that he can transfer to the school he is at now to get his degree.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kt_bug View Post
    Is his degree something that he could finish online after going active if the military changes plans/goes back on its word as it so often does? He may want to talk to his school and figure out if this is an option, either with online classes through the school itself or through another school that he can transfer to the school he is at now to get his degree.
    Good idea.
    I asked him after reading this, he said that most his classes are online or hybrid, and there should be only two he has to be in class for, but that he could probably get his teachers to work with him. That makes me feel SO much better. I didn't even consider that.
    Thank you, you are awesome.
  4. Senior Member
    I was in the camp of, if he wants to go officer, then don't go enlisted. But it seems like his priority is being active again, not necessarily being an officer. If his ultimate goal was to be an officer, I would be delivering pizzas or waiting tables to make ends meet until he graduated and could officially submit his package. I'm sure it will be a lot harder to go officer once he is committed to an active enlisted contract. As for the school thing, are there classes he can take in the summer session instead of the fall, that would at least lighten his workload for the fall. Honestly, six months feels like a long time to "fly under the radar" of being sent to schooling or a PDS. Hopefully he can transfer or get his school to work with him if he needs to move.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    I was in the camp of, if he wants to go officer, then don't go enlisted. But it seems like his priority is being active again, not necessarily being an officer. If his ultimate goal was to be an officer, I would be delivering pizzas or waiting tables to make ends meet until he graduated and could officially submit his package. I'm sure it will be a lot harder to go officer once he is committed to an active enlisted contract. As for the school thing, are there classes he can take in the summer session instead of the fall, that would at least lighten his workload for the fall. Honestly, six months feels like a long time to "fly under the radar" of being sent to schooling or a PDS. Hopefully he can transfer or get his school to work with him if he needs to move.
    Yea, you and I have the same school of thought. I was thinking if he attempted to go active in October, it might give him enough time to finish. He is thinking the soonest he can get orders is August, but that is still too long in my mind to count on the navy working with him.... gah.
    He is already taking summer classes, so hopefully the ones in the fall can be done online if he has to go somewhere.
    He is dead set convinced that if he puts his officer package in (which I think if he does it, he should do it under hos current command) they HAVE to let him proceed. I'm afraid he's in for a rude awakening.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    DH was in for 4 years, got out for 2 years and then rejoined. He started the process in May and he was at TPU the beginning of August, school in October, and duty station in November. This was in 2001 so obviously it's been awhile but if he can get back in as enlisted (it's not as easy now as it was then) I would not expect him to stay put long enough to graduate. Even if he can go to school online, if they send him to a school how will he keep up with both? If he really wants to just rejoin he maybe speak with the school/teachers about him waiting for him to done with the process and then attend online while using TA. My DH has 2 degrees from using his TA. He hasn't even touched his GI Bill.

And as for going officer as enlisted, there are some different processes for that. He'd have to figure out which he would want to do. My DH is a CWO. He was selected at 15 years and commissioned at 16. LDO is the most similar to CWO. Both require a certain time in and rank so depending how long he was in and what rank he'd be rejoining as, both of those could take some time waiting for. And even then he and his package need to stand out to be selected.

If he wants to rejoin as an officer, I would wait. He needs to figure out what he really wants, is most important, and go from there.
  7. Senior Member
    If he's able to go to school online he shouldn't have to do it this fall. It can probably wait even a few years. Of course it would be best to find a school that is very military friendly so if he has to go away for a few days or weeks it won't affect his school work. I would make a list of good potential online schools and take it to a counselor to see if any have courses that could be used to complete his degree. What is his degree in? That will have a large impact on the availability of courses at online programs like that.
  8. Senior Member
    If he's able to go to school online he shouldn't have to do it this fall. It can probably wait even a few years. Of course it would be best to find a school that is very military friendly so if he has to go away for a few days or weeks it won't affect his school work. I would make a list of good potential online schools and take it to a counselor to see if any have courses that could be used to complete his degree. What is his degree in? That will have a large impact on the availability of courses at online programs like that.
    I believe his bachelors is in business administration, which should be pretty available.
    I really hope that it all works out the way he is planning.... but.... we all know how that goes. I think he forgets how much the navy messed with his plans before...
  9. Senior Member
    I don't even understand what he's trying to do. If he goes active as enlisted, I don't know of any tiny possibility (which doesn't 100% mean they don't exist) that he would end up commissioning as an officer any time soon (like, years).

Has he talked specifically with an Officer Recruiter? If not, he needs to do that. Like, yesterday. (If they will work with him since he's currently reserves, IIRC.) Let them tell him his chances of commissioning while enlisted, and how long that generally takes, and what the numbers look like. (And there's also the age limits in many jobs, which might be a concerned since it sounds like he's already older than most enlistees, and if he has to serve 3-5 or more years before commissioning, even with the age waivers, that may put him too old for many officer jobs.) If not, at the very least he needs to talk to some active duty naval officers and have them mentor him about what he thinks he's going to try to do.

Also, once he goes active, I don't see how he's going to be able to stay in a place with no job for him. Did they explain that? Because I don't see the Navy paying him so he can just chill and finish school for a semester--school he isn't even required to have for his job.

I agree with PA. If he wants to be an officer, don't enlist. And even though you say the priority is "active", everything else sounds like he really wants to be an officer. So it doesn't seem like he's being honest with himself. Is he going to be okay doing his entire career as enlisted? Truly okay? (Disclaimer, in case that sounds different than I mean it. There's of course nothing at all wrong with being enlisted. It just seems like it's not what he wants, and that he's banking on the small chance that he will someday be an officer, and more than that he is thinking it is going to happen soon.)

Because honestly, this would not really be the Navy "messing with his plans". Unless there some program or pertinent detail I'm missing, he's just being totally unrealistic and has failed to do his research.

And, if he truly is fine being enlisted, then the school thing doesn't seem like a huge concern, as he'll have years to be able to finish it, and can do that mostly online, from the sounds of it.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Regular Member
    This is how I finished my degree. I received permission to take my remaining courses online and the instructors worked with me. It seemed like even the hard nosed professors were very open to helping anyone who was AD or LE as long as we had been decent students up to the point we ran into the unexpected circumstances.

My DH is always contacted by our families and friends whenever a kiddo starts meeting with recruiters, first thing he always tells them is that a recruiter may make promises he can't keep. Nothing in the military is a guarantee, ever.

Oh, can I be the leader of team "Screwed Over"??

"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast