Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: DB wants to be a Drill Sergeant

1. Regular Member

DB wants to be a Drill Sergeant

Advertisements
    Hey all -

I searched around the forum and didn't really find any threads related to my question so here we are. DB (Army, infantry) wants to reenlist and volunteer to be a drill sergeant. I'm excited for him because this is something he's always wanted to do, I think he'd be amazing at it and he's received a lot of feedback from his higher-ups who also think this would be a good fit for him. Has anyone here had any experience with this? I know he'll have to basically go back to boot camp and get treated like shit for a few months. He said he should get orders as to what fort he's going to when he reenlists. He also really wants to be stationed at Benning being an infantry DS, but he won't really know if that's going to happen or not until he graduates from the school because they take the top percentage of graduates and send them to Benning or something like that.

My question is - what's the timeline people have experienced with this? How long did it take your partner to get orders once they submitted their packet? How long after they got orders did they have to go to the school? Where do they even DO the school? What was it like for both of you? Any feedback on what schools are like at Sill/Benning/Jackson/Leonard Wood, since we have a child in elementary school? What was it like once he settled into the job - how often did you see him? Was he home most nights or was he gone for long periods of time throughout each cycle?
  2. Senior Member
    I don't have answers to your questions, but I was told from a nice army recruiter on the airplane last week, that they cycle through about every 3-5 years for DS and it depends on the base they go to. From our conversation it also sounded like they stay with their company. I really dont know tho... I am sure a recruiter could answer some of these questions?